1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez RKB900 - Need some opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by giglawyer, Nov 9, 2006.

1. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I found a brand new Ibanez RKB900 for sale. Still has the plastic on the pickguard, and the dealer is reputable. I have always wanted one of these, but the dealer is quoting me a price of $949.

:eyebrow:

I told the dealer that I know Musician's Friend and the other online retailers blew these out for around $350, so there's no way this thing would ever hold its value at that price. He sort of shrugged it off. Somehow, I am not surprised that he hasn't sold it yet (he admits to having it on display for "quite some time").

Sooo...am I nuts, or is this guy going to have this bass for a very long time? Your thoughts?

2. The RKB is an excellent bass. I love mine to death but your dealer is being foolish in attempting to charge the full $950.00. It's a well-crafted Japanese Ibanez, but the fact remains that they were sold for $350.00 at the end of their factory run.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I like the RKB900 I tried and wish I had bought a sunburst one while they were on sale.

Ask the guy what his absolute lowest price is. Somewhere between his knowledge (that it's been in the shop for a while) and yours (MF's blowout price) you may find a figure that works for both of you. I don't necessarily think it's fair to expect a small local retailer to match the closeout price of a mega-corporation (though I wouldn't think twice about asking Sam Ash or GC to do so). Most stores with price matching will match regular sales prices but not closeouts.

It's funny, Musicians' Friend blew out the Akai Deep Impact for $99 a couple years back but I see them selling for upwards of $250 in the classifieds here. This certainly has something to do with supply/demand, but it also proves that the "2 year ago MF blowout price" is not the best indicator of ongoing value.

5. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Good points all. Keep them coming.

My thought is that the price might be somewhere in between, but maybe around $500. I just can't justify spending ANY more than that for it. I am not sure I could justify sepnding that for it anyway.

6. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    He will probably have the bass for a long time. Not because it isn't worth that, but because there are going to be very few people looking for one. Especially at that price. If you are patient you will eventually find one on eBay (might take a while) and I would be shocked if you had to pay half what that guy is asking to get one.

It's an awesome bass. I hope you are able to talk that guy down or eventually score one elsewhere.

7. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have an RKB900, and I paid $350 for it. It's a great bargain at that price. I might have paid up to $500 for a new one, but I've seen them on ebay for less. Maybe you can find one there?

$1000 is really way too high, and I suspect that your local music store will have that bass for a long, long time. There are just too many other basses in that price range that really kick butt.

It's a really nice instrument, but it's not the be-all-end-all of P-J basses. I bought mine because it was relatively inexpensive, and because it came with good wood, and nice components.

If I hadn't been able to get it, I was planning on getting a Fender Aerodyne (love the black with binding and no pickguard), and I would have swapped out the pickups for some Duncan Quarter Pounders. The Badass II, and Hipshot tuners are nice, but not deal breakers for me.

FWIW, when I compare the RKB900 to my ATK300, I really prefer the ATK. The body is larger and more substantial and feels better when standing. The neck is wider and thinner front-to-back. If I had to keep only one, I'd go with the ATK.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021