Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Roadgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 19, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does anyone know if the RD600 is available only outside the US or something? I've only found it on UK and Japanese sites, and the American site is only showing the RD300 and RD500.

~Patrick

2. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I found it on ONE site only which is available in U.S

go to www.guitarbargains.com

Click USA at the bottom of the homepage.

Then go to search at the top of the page and type in RD600 in the Keywords box.

3. I think there's a 900 now released in the USA - same sort of specs, just USA fine tuning to make it more marketable?

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My understanding is it's just the 5 string version of the 500. Bummer, tho, they have the 505 with the upgraded electronics (splitter switch and maybe more), but they don't have a 905 (5 string version) yet!!!! I played a 505 at GC the other day and loved it!

5. All these basses are very similar. Body wood differs but the neck basics and construction detail are similar. The 900 appears to have USA made Seymour Duncans and in the USA the 500 and 300 have off-shore built Duncan design pickups as well. My 600 has labled Semour Duncans just like they come form SD. But the 900 they make a big deal on the Seymour Duncan site that these are USA built. So it's not a 500. I think the RD900 is a re-badged RD600 for the USA market.

Having said all that I'd agree with someone else here - if I was buying again I think I'd go for a Bartolini loaded SR500 - 3 band actives instead of 2, good PUs (like the RD), 5 laminate neck instead on one and not so much head-dive as the RD. I'd love the RD to be better balanced - but I do like the big machine heads.

Anyone have any ideas about balance, or is it down to bolting on a big chunk of lead to the bottom strap button?

6. I like the RD series. Played an RD500 yesterday & was impressed. I'd like to see Gotoh-style tuners & a smaller headstock tho', and would be very interested in testing the 5-string.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I haven't managed to find a simple roadgear bass in my local music stores lots of the SR and SRX stuff, no RD. How many people have goten a chance to play them anyway> What the major sound differences from teh SD lines?

8. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I've been desperately looking for a MM style bass with MM/J pickup configuration for a long time now. As a long time Ibanez fan I was more than happy to see the RD series. However, there is something that the bass lacks, for me. I've tried RD500, RD600, RD605 and RD300. For some strange reason, RD500 felt the best, but there is a lack of resonance in all of them that bothers me. The strings just resonate on top of the bass, not inside the bass as a good J, or any good bass. The bass is not at all bad for the price, but I would actually rather get an OLP MM, or even cheaper EKO MM, and install a no-name J in the neck position. Lack of 24 frets will surely bother me, but I'd still be a bit happier with the sound.

-Aki.

9. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I had one of the RD500's.. for about a week. There were 2 dead spots, it always needed tuning and yes it has a resonance problem. I tried a different one and the same thing. There were a ton of tone possibilites due to the split coil selector, but there was something "not right" with this bass. I swapped for an Ibanez SRX505 and never looked back. Just my 2 cents...

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    A little off topic, but since there's a sub-thread hear about great MM-J basses, I have a Lakland 55-02 I could not be any happier with. Incredible tone and playability. Buttery goodness. :)

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The SRX line REALLY impressed me for the $$. I'd actually take one of the SRX700's over a True MM any day (personal preference), and from waht I've played so far, the quality stacks up very close. The RD's bodies don't seem to really do much for me, and it sounds liek tehy have issues- that may be why it is the only line that GuitarX (botique local seeler) doesn't carry- they won't touch low quality or low consistency stuff.

12. I'd agree that the RD doesn't seem to ring through the body like a Jazz bass but it does sound OK through the pickups - which is the whole point of an electric bass. I suppose Mahogony isn't really a very good tone wood compared to Ash, Rosewood, Sycamore, Maple, and the like. Not many good cellos and violins made from Mahogany yer know. It may also be that heavy bridge - good for maintaining string resonance and sustain, but not much good at gettong sound and energy into the body - where frankly it's not going to be doing much good as this is an electic bass. Again, not many cast steel bridges on cellos.

Look guys this is an electric bass. You can't build an effective instrument that sound great acoustically but doesn't feed back AND gives great sustain.......I think....

These basses are pretty cheap for what they are and the elctics installed in them. A Seymour Duncan Jazz AND MM loaded bass with active AND passive circuits for $450. Stroll on guys, if you want a bass that has it all, it's going to cost three times what these cost.

13. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I barely even played the RD unplugged, the lack of resonance disturbed me in the amplified signal. The resonance is extremely important in an electric bass also. If it wouldn't, why do people like Joe Pass, Lee Ritenour, Scofield and Coryell use hollow body electrics? Even Sadowsky says that the slight effect that tone chambers have in an electric bass, is definitely positive.

It's strange, mahogany is supposed to be a good tone wood, but I rarely like a mahogany bodied guitar. I love ash! The first time I played a stratocaster that I liked, it was an ash bodied Fender Strat. The heaviest strat I've ever played! By the way, mahogany bodied Ibanez SZ guitars have bit of the same symptom of being unresonant. But only a bit, I have one.
    Funny though, RD900 has even sturdier bridge.
    I think You can. Take Lakland for example. Way in a different league, but it's an example that most of us knows.
    Hmm... no. :)
    http://www.cort.com/basses/gb_series/index.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are GOOD basses! And they look incredibly cool! They definitely have a J-style body resonance.

-Aki.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've played a couple of the RD500s and I was actually impressed, especially for the money. I like the way they look and play and I thought the stock Ibanez pickups and active pre actually sounded fine, at least for the money.

I played one at MulletCenter and, after playing it, i handed it back telling the Mullethead at the counter that it wasn't bad at all. He responded with a snort and a sort of arrogant "Yeah, they're not bad for an inexpensive bass". :rolleyes:

Anyway, I couldn't see paying more than $250 for one of the RD500s. Any more than that and the value factor diminishes quickly and greatly, at least for my purposes.

15. I guess what we've decided on is that to find a great bass you need to get out there and try them. I didn't try the Ibanez when I bought - my criteria where that it should fit a Jazz bass case, feell rather like the Jazz without having to play it differently, look different, good PUs, active and passive. The RD600 was a kinda back-up option. However I play both the MIM Jazz and RD600 about the same amount of time. Niether is great but they do the job and I don't have to worry about them at gigs as niether cost too much. (I'd get a bit anal about a $1500 bass!)

I think we actually (you see the brits really do use that word and we're all like Hugh Grant - ha ha) what we;re actually agreeing on is that no two basses sound the same even when they are called the same from the same maufacturer, and you need to try before you buy. Those Corts are great - at least the ones I've tried - but you you might pick up one that plays bad and trash it in a review - each bass is a one off made from organic materials that are not exactly the same. With all the possibilities of different quality woods in the body and neck, and how it was all put together on the the day, its not surprising we hear these basses differently. And with cheaper manufacturing quality, some will be better and some worse by a bigger margin. I met a luthier recently who was asked to find a good $500 Martin from 40 in a warehouse. The one he chose he said was as good as any $7000 acoustic, another couple were pretty good and 37 were what you'd expect from a $500 guitar.

Summary - try before you buy - it's not elecricity or gas - all basses are different. You're looking for that one that just happened to be put together perfectly and plays brilliantly.

16. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I completely agree. There is still a big boom here in Finland to buy equipment and even guitars from Germany, Thomann.de. There are numerous threads at local forums where guys are asking if this and that is a good guitar to order. What they don't realize, is that every instrument imported to Finland can be bought with the Thomann prices if they would just pick up the phone and call two stores and ask if they would sell it for less $. I have replied several times, that even if the guitar costs more in a local store, seeing and trying the guitar is often worth the extra 15%. Too bad these 15 year old guys just don't get it.

Well, enough preaching. What I ment to point out was that even if guitars are individuals, I'm not going to visit a PRS dealer once a month "just in case the next batch would be what I like". They are individuals, but if you don't like guitar at all, you won't fall in love with another individual of the same model. When you're thinking if you will buy it or not, or if you already decided to buy, that's the time to try every single individual you can.

I have tried 4 different RD500's, 2 RD600's, 2 RD300's, and from my point of view, they are rather consistent... :)

Reading what I wrote, it all sounds like an obvious fact, but I'll still post it. Just in case.

-Aki.

17. Sounds like the RD is not the bass for you if you've tried 5. But what is it you're really searching for?

I suspect you'll know it when you come across it through trying out a lot of basses in shops. I never expected to play a Rickenbacker - but I loved the sound and bought one...and I never wanted a Strat, but I found one that was just great and bought it....and who wants to play a Roland amp, but I tried one and bought. All my best buys have been through trying guitars. basses and amps in shops. All the guitars and basses I've really liked playing were against the grain and not what I thought I wanted - until I tried one myself.

I think you're going to have to open up and try a whole lot of unusaul manufacturers and expose yourself to the danger of finding what you want where you least expect it. Nobody's going to get it over the www.

18. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I'm searching for a bass with 24 frets, MM/J pickups (or possibility to set up for MM/J). I've later found that mahogany doesn't cut it for me. I'm planning on asking a luthier to make me a neck, and I'll make a Stringray5 -style ash body with tone chambers for this 35" scale bass myself. I do know what I want, but I was surprised that RD didn't deliver.

That's what made me try the Corts. This time I know too precisely what I want to just run around trying everything. I'm going to make the bass with a luthier, 'cause I have tried everything even remotely to the MM genre (available in Finland ofcourse), and I know I will get closer making the bass with a luthier.

-Aki.