Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Roadstar II bass white w/ maple board

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Nov 22, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    ***SOLD***

What I have here is an early 80s (I think '83 or '84) Japanese-manufactured Ibanez "Roadstar 2" bass guitar. I bought this as a "backup bass" but ended up using it more than I thought I would because it is really a fine instrument. These basses are not easy to find anymore and they are a killer value. Early 80s Japanese-manufactuered Ibanez basses are generally regarded as being at least as soundly-constructed as any American-made instrument. The color is vintage white (creamy off-white) and it has a maple fretboard with black dot inlays. The bass has these odd heart-shaped machine heads which you don't see anywhere else. This baby is equipped with a P-style neck pickup and J-style bridge pickup. With the various control knobs, you can get just about any sound you want, from mid-range growl to smooth, darker tones. The bass has passive electronics but is significantly louder than many of the active basses I've played. The TONE is the best thing about this bass...it is really killer. Great or blues bass especially!

The finish has plenty of dings and scratches but none of them are really major. I would say it is in overall pretty good condition, especially for an instrument that is over 20 years old. I filled the two paint chips (one on top horn, one on bottom edge) with white nailpolish and sanded over them. You can still tell where they are but only up close. There are some other scratches and tiny divots but they are almost all on the edges of the body. The back of the body looks very clean as does the top. There is some very light corrosion on the bridge and a couple of minor scratches in the metal. There is some light wear on the edges of the maple fretboard (in just a few areas) but the frets themselves look great and are barely worn at all. Keep in mind all these flaws are very minor but I like to try to be detailed in pointing them out because I am picky about every little thing when I buy an instrument online and I expect others to be the same. I take very good care of my gear. If you have any questions about the condition of the bass (or anything else), don't hesitate to e-mail me and I'll be happy to answer them as well as I can.

This bass is equipped with chrome (Schaller?) strap locks. I no longer have the strap that is in the pictures, but I will include a black strap instead.

I had it set up this past summer and cleaned out the electronics. I also had the back screw-hole filled as it was stripped when I purchased the bass. But now it is repaired and tighter than ever. I will ship the bass in an SKB Freedom case which fits it like a glove. The case has 3 stickers on it. I will take the stickers off or leave them on as per the buyers preference (don't worry, I have Goo Gone :))

$275 shipped to lower 48, split Paypal fees

More pics available on request. :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. looking for any trades? thanks. :ninja:

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Looks like a 1984 or 85 RB650. Great bass and outstanding value. :cool:

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Some nibbles but no bites.
    BUY ME FOR CHRISTMAS! :)

5. My old music school had one of those, it was real fun to play. If only they would have changed the strings! Nice bass.

6. rpsell

rpsell

Jan 27, 2005
    hawley, minnesota
    Bump for a great bass

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks for the bumps and trade offers, but I need cash right now. I offered it at a discount (less the cost of shipping) to a local 18-year-old kid who was just starting out but he instead went to a music store and purchased a Chinese-made Epiphone for practically the same price but without the hardcase, straplocks, etc. Sheesh. So yeah, it's still very much available.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    a shame that he passed on a great bass. Now who will end up with this for Christmas????? :eyebrow:

9. another pm sent!

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Seriously I am thinking I almost should keep this because it is a fun bass and good quality. No battery to worry about but great tone..notch the gain up on your amp and let 'er rip...

I really need the cash for Xmas and my first mortgage payment in January though... :meh:

Pms replied to

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    SOLD to Pete-the-bass

Thanks, Pete!

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Geez it's about time. An Ibanez roadstar bass in decent condition (and at a very reasonable price) should not last more than a couple of days on this site. Am I biased? Yessir. I own one and love it.

13. Hopefully im as impressed with the bass as you are! :)

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Check out the reviews on harmonycentral.com
    You can't go wrong with an Ibanez Roadstar.