Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Roadstar II... How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Mar 3, 2004.

1. I recently played an Ibanez Roadstar II (don't know the year, sorry, but I'd guess mid 80's) and really liked it, and I'm interested in buying it to finally cure my P-bass GAS.

I don't like modern Ibanez stuff, but that old thing really nails the P-bass feel and tone, IMO.

So, can anybody tell me how much that thing's worth? :)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Check ebay completed items. There's always plenty of Roadstars on there, so you should have 20 or 30 closed auctions I'd think.

3. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    I paid like $200 for mine with a cheapie hardshell case. Near mint. eBay.

I like it!

4. Thanks, I'll check eBay.

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That is a great bass. I used to own one. It has a great *THWACK* sound to it when you really hit the strings hard fingerstlye. Good weight too it too, not too heavy, nicely balanced.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There were quite a few different models in the RS II series.

$200 is typical for the cheaper ones, maybe $350 for the fanciest models.

7. The one I tried had PJ pickups, and an odd control configuration: Pickup blend, master volume, and tone. It was black with a black pickguard and matching headstock, and a rosewood fingerboard.

8. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I saw one in a store years ago that I absolutely fell in love with, but was too broke too buy it before it sold (didn't take long with a $300 price tag).

It was definitely an older Ibanez Roadstar, but I could have sworn it said RoadstEr, did that exist?

It had a body shape very similar to a Ricky 4001, very thin, and a flat surface, pretty sure it had binding and everything. It was a metallic purple kind of color (very cool actually, despite being purple). It had 2 dual coil humbuckers, 2 volumes and a tone (I think that was the knob configuration) and Gold metal knobs. One of the volumes had a push/push that I believe acted as a coil tap, but could have been series/parellel, I didn't actually spend the time to analyze it entirely. It played amazingly, had a great tone. I totally loved that thing, wanted to cry when it was sold. I begged the guy in the store to put it in the back with my name on it, only for a month, then I could buy it, but he refused.

Can anyone help me identify this exact model variation? That was 14 years ago now, and I still remember that bass like it was yesterday, I would still love to get my hands on it again, I have never seen another one like it since.

9. Could it be a "Lawsuit" model (i.e. a Rickenbacker copy)?

It's a shame Ibanez don't make those models anymore. I really don't like all their Soundgear and BTB stuff. The ATK's look fine, though, but I never had the chance to play one.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes they had a roadstEr series, and they are different from the lawsuit era basses. I will *never* part w/ my Roadstar II -- I buy other basses and just keep coming back to her. I should learn to spend my $ on something else, like lessons, since I already own my ideal bass.

11. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The body itself was absolutely a Ricky shape. But the pickups were basically the same dual humbuckers you might see today on a Sound Gear, but I "think" they had all 8 poles visible, and I am pretty sure they had pickup rings mounting them in.

12. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If it is infact a lawsuit era, how would I find one? Is it still a Roadster? Or is that different altogether? I am virtually positive that the model on the headstock was Roadster. I later owned a Roadstar II, and that was very different from this bass, the Roadstar II was a great bass, I kick myself now for parting with that. I guess the search continues. Off to Ebay....

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    There are 4 Roadstars on ebay right now.

Lawsuit era basses had no model designation, and had Ibanez written in the old script style font. (I'm pretty sure). Also the headstocks were *very* close to whatever bass they were copying.

14. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    None of the Roadstars on Ebay are the one I am after. Although there is one Roadstar II (P-bass) that is still at a great price. Too bad they won't ship to Canada.

I honestly don't remember what the headstock looked like, could have been Ricky too. Thanx for the info guys, you have been a big help.

15. Ive got a series II if anyone wants one. It's a bit gigged but has a perfect sound, just got it professionally set up. Send any offers to pieeatingmonster@hotmail.com . I have pics and other stuff i can send u too. (pref UK)