Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Roadstar II ?'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xavier, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    Picked up an Ibanez Roadstar II bass off ebay really cheap. I think it's made in '83. It plays nice with great action and boomy low end. The quality feels like an old Fender. Anyone own one of these? or know where to get any info about it. I'm just wondering what the body wood is made of. Pickups look like Dimarzio's and the tuners are really nice. I know Ibanez made alot of variations of the Roadstar II and I haven't seen one like this. Check out the pics.

2. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    close up of body

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Congrats! I like the maple fretboard. I also have an '83 (different design) and love it but it has rosewood. I'll buy him a brother w/ a maple board someday. :)

4. The pickguard is not original, its a Fender style guard,Ibanez guards are rounded at the tips. but they are killer basses, I own several, including a nice 77 Fretless P-bass Lawsuit. they are better than any of the current Squier Basses, Chineese, Honk Kong, etc, Japanese Squiers are the exception

Peace!

5. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    my first bass was a roadstar II circa '85. the body on mine was basswood.

6. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    Do you know where I can get a pickguard for it? As seen in the pics, the previous owner installed one that doesn't quite fit. Also the body is unfinished wood and I need some advice on what to stain it with.

7. I know this guy who sells pickguards on ebay , his name is Bryan Boots, email is dazbootman@hotmail.com

he made me a custom white pearl guard for my 77 Ibanez Fretless P bass..he copied it from my original guard, he may still have that template. it was around $30 If I recall. He is very good at what he does. If he doesnt I could sell you my old guard, it has a notch cut out for the truss rod and an extra hole for a volume control. let me know if need be. I'm getting ready to contact him for several guitars of mine..he'll send you samples of material. he is cheaper than the main replacement companies out there and his work is first class

for what to stain the wood, Im sure someone else around here could help you, Im not to savvy with that info. :confused:

Peace

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Here is my baby...

Its a 79 roadstar II, with bart 8s pups and a badass bridge...

[​IMG]

Cheers

Alex

9. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    What color is your pickguard? I'll take it off your hands. My brother paints motorcycles and is going to refinish the body for me this week. I'll post some pics of the finished product.

10. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    Very nice! great mods...

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice to see you around x-man. Cool bass, before Ibanez became the root of all that is wrong in the bass world. ;)

I like these 80's-vintage era basses. I'd like to get a T-40 to put 4-5 humbuckers in it, maybe route the back out for one huge magnet for them all :rolleyes: :D

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks, it isn't worth much... But it is one hell of a player, playes (and sounds) better than any fender of the same vintage...

Alex

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

Cool bass.

I remember back in the day when these were new I always found that the 2x2 tuner arrangement didn't fit the overall look of the bass. But now I just see it as a cool alternative of that big Fender style head they usually came with.

I also remeber seeing one of my earliest bass influences Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet play a pearl whit fretless roadstar, Those basses had a kind of class that the Soundgears lack.

although later Roadstars already began to resemble the bass line that would replace them, later Roadstars were Soundgears in all but name.

Here see for your self.

[​IMG]

14. I'll let it go for $10 plus the shipping, email me at mark@tiedyedwebdesign.com for address and money details, heres a picture. the notch was done poorly by the previous owner, the truss is at the but of the neck, and the extra hole was for an extra pickup. with a little creativity you may be able to patch it up and make it not so noticeable. anyway , let me know when you can

Peace!

15. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    I never got around to painting it. I just applied some glossy poly for protection. I put a new pickguard, chrome knobs and rewired the pickups. Also I setup the action and now this bass really sings. Thanks! to TB, I was able to do this on my own. I think these basses are underrated and if you can find an early 80's Ibanez pick one up. I got it on Ebay for less than $100.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    looks great Xman!

I love old Ibanez basses! they are generally very playable and dirt cheap!

in case you missed it, I'm awaiting arrival of an 82 pointy Ibanez

picture

got mine for under $200

17. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Those RB650's are great basses. Wish I still had mine. :(