Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez roadstar II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bottomfeedins, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Alrighty...I have an Ibanez Roadstar II series bass. I've been all over the web trying to find pictures/info on the one I have. I've found some but nothing like mine. I don't know what model it is. Anyone know any websites that would have pics/specs of hard to find basses? :confused:

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Can you post a pic of your bass.
    Someone here can probably help you identify it.

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This guy used to run a site called "the vintage Ibanez reference source" or something like that, and has know re-added this as a link off of his new page...check the menu at the bottom along the left:
    http://216.250.245.172/index.html

4. Well, I checked that site and it doesn't have the one I have. I don't have a digital camera, plus I'm terrible with computers. I think I can find some one with one though. Roadstars are easy to find, but the one I have is hard. I even tried putting the serial # in a search, like that would do anything. :bag:

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Decribe the body shape, whether or not it has binding, the pickups, does is have a pickguard or not...I may be able to help you.

6. It's kind of like that metallic champaigne (sp :confused: ) goldish color. No pick guard. It has one tone knob and one volume knob, and a pickup switch. Weird because it only has one pickup. I think the pickup is about the size of a music man pickup, but the magnets look like screws. It's got a symmetrical head stock (like Gibson SG, not Fender). Let's see...4 stringer, the pickup must have 2 coils or whatever because of the switch. Let me know anything else you need to solve this mystery. thanks for the help!! :D

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Hmmmm....

The color probably puts it in the mid 80's....85-87. The switch would be either a coil tap or a series/parallel switch. Also assuming that the poles on the pickups are not exposed would but it in the mid 80's. I bet the back of neck is also painted the same color as the body, right? The body is also has a bit of a Spector shape to it too, right? Sounds like an RB7?0 or RB8?0.

I have to go out of town for a few days in the morning. PM me and I will see what else , if anything, I can figure out when I get home.

Steve

8. OK, it gets more complicated than that. The body may have been painted over. There's a chip or 2 in the paint and undeneath is a more of a silvery color. Whoever painted it did a great job though, seeing as though the thickness of the layers are pretty adequate, and it seems to be professionally done. The back of the neck is lacquered but natural wood underneath. It's got more of a Fender shape to it. like a combo of P and J bass, the way the horns are. The look is pretty much as common as it gets. I'm looking for specs so I can overhaul it and turn it into a total beast (not that I really know how to do any of that).

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Sounds like mine, except I've got a sunburst. Leave it alone, it already is a beast.

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    yep...sounds like the RB820. Great bass. Visit this site for the specs: http://www.ibanez-vintage-page.de/ Click on catalogues, then click on the "click here" right under the NEW IBANEZ CATALOGUES SCANS 1980 to 1990.

The bodies were made of Alder on these.

11. From the picture, that could be the one. Alright...down to bassiics. Should I throw a Music Man p-up in there or what? It hasn't been serviced since I got it. That was about 5-6 years ago. I don't know the last time it was serviced before I got it. I paid around $200 (American) for it. It definitely needs help, but I'd like to REALLY help it out, if you know what I mean. Is it worth it? Yes that picture looks just like it. :)

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You have not described what is wrong with it. As we've said, they are excellent basses stock. If it needs a setup, then have it set up and get some new strings. That said, I put an EMG in mine because I prefer active basses. I kept the stock pickup and will put it back in someday because it has a great sound.

13. Yeah, it definitely needs a set-up. I have been playing it a lot more lately because my other 2 basses are at our studio, it's good for home jamming, but I'm low on cash these days. Yes a set-up is totally necessary, but I have 2 other basses I treat like babies and this one, I've been looking at as a potential experiment. The first step will be a set-up, but I'd like to make this bass ridiculous if I can (in a good way of course). :cool:

14. Are music man p-ups the same size?

15. Sorry I tried to get the picture in that last quote...didn't work. :bag:

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't know, but I do know that MusicMan does not sell their pickups independent of their basses.

17. OK, off the subject a little, but is there a website where you can enter the kind of bass you have with serial # and find out when and where it was made, specs, etc.?

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No. Your Roadstar is made in Japan, the specs are on the picture I posted above, and the first 2 #s in the serial # will be the year.

19. 1983. Do all serial #'s use the year for the 1st 2 #'s?

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area