1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Roadstar II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Nov 13, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How are these 80´s basses? How do they sound? What are their quality comparable to? Im looking for a cheap wellmade Fenderish bass.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is what Im talking about as Ibanez have used the name Roadstar quite often.
    [​IMG]

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    They sound and look "Fenderish". :) Seriously.:(

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Ive already read those reviews but I tend to take those with a grain of salt as the reviewers almost always exaggerate quite a bit on those sites.
    Id like to hear talkbassmembers opinions.

5. i was definetly gonna adivise you to not take those review to seriously.

6. *bump* some one has to have this

7. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I actually have one coming to me. I should have it in a few days. I'll post a quick review for you.

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    it was my first bass! back in high school...
    i donated it to church when i went away to college, and 10 years later, played it when i went back to visit.
    still lovin' it! i almost offered to buy it from them.

i think for the money, it's a great used bass.
    i heard there were some versions that kinda sucked though... can't remember exact model names or production years.

9. FWIW Mickey Quinn of Supergrass uses a couple of Roadstars as his main recording and gigging basses.

the sound he gets is very Precision-like.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first good Ibanez was a Roadstar II. It's on my "to get again" list, just for the nostalgia.

Mind you, my Roadstar had 2+2 tuners and a Rickenbacker-ish shape with coil taps(see pic). I could see myself gigging with one regularly even today.

I think the P-bass copies are well put together too.

[​IMG]

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first good Ibanez was a Roadstar II. It's on my "to get again" list, just for the nostalgia.

Mind you, my Roadstar had 2+2 tuners and a Rickenbacker-ish shape with coil taps. I could see myself gigging with one regularly even today.

I think the P-bass copies are well put together too. I've heard a guy get a great sound out of one once.

12. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Just got this today.

It's exactly the same as the one pictured. It's a 1985 RB650.

I was surprised by the quality. It's much better than I was expecting.

The maple neck is really quite nice. It's fretboard dimensions are about the same as a p-bass, but the neck is a bit thicker. The bridge is the same type as a p-bass (which I can't stand). The knobs are plastic, but don't feel cheap.

The pickups were also a surprise. With the p and j combo you can get some different tones. Not bad sounding IMO. I'm sorry if I can't get more detailed info on the "tone" of this bass. I'm not too much of an expert on that, but I do know if I like the sound or not.

My only main complaint is the finish of the body.
    The paint is good, but you can see some lines from the wood.

I would definately recommend this is you can pick one up.

I'll try to get some picture later on.