Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Roadstar II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Nov 13, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How are these 80´s basses? How do they sound? What are their quality comparable to? Im looking for a cheap wellmade Fenderish bass.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is what Im talking about as Ibanez have used the name Roadstar quite often.
    [​IMG]

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    They sound and look "Fenderish". :) Seriously.:(

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Ive already read those reviews but I tend to take those with a grain of salt as the reviewers almost always exaggerate quite a bit on those sites.
    Id like to hear talkbassmembers opinions.

5. i was definetly gonna adivise you to not take those review to seriously.

6. *bump* some one has to have this

7. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I actually have one coming to me. I should have it in a few days. I'll post a quick review for you.

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    it was my first bass! back in high school...
    i donated it to church when i went away to college, and 10 years later, played it when i went back to visit.
    still lovin' it! i almost offered to buy it from them.

i think for the money, it's a great used bass.
    i heard there were some versions that kinda sucked though... can't remember exact model names or production years.

9. FWIW Mickey Quinn of Supergrass uses a couple of Roadstars as his main recording and gigging basses.

the sound he gets is very Precision-like.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first good Ibanez was a Roadstar II. It's on my "to get again" list, just for the nostalgia.

Mind you, my Roadstar had 2+2 tuners and a Rickenbacker-ish shape with coil taps(see pic). I could see myself gigging with one regularly even today.

I think the P-bass copies are well put together too.

[​IMG]

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first good Ibanez was a Roadstar II. It's on my "to get again" list, just for the nostalgia.

Mind you, my Roadstar had 2+2 tuners and a Rickenbacker-ish shape with coil taps. I could see myself gigging with one regularly even today.

I think the P-bass copies are well put together too. I've heard a guy get a great sound out of one once.

12. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Just got this today.

It's exactly the same as the one pictured. It's a 1985 RB650.

I was surprised by the quality. It's much better than I was expecting.

The maple neck is really quite nice. It's fretboard dimensions are about the same as a p-bass, but the neck is a bit thicker. The bridge is the same type as a p-bass (which I can't stand). The knobs are plastic, but don't feel cheap.

The pickups were also a surprise. With the p and j combo you can get some different tones. Not bad sounding IMO. I'm sorry if I can't get more detailed info on the "tone" of this bass. I'm not too much of an expert on that, but I do know if I like the sound or not.

My only main complaint is the finish of the body.
    The paint is good, but you can see some lines from the wood.

I would definately recommend this is you can pick one up.

I'll try to get some picture later on.