1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Ibanez Roadstar Jazz Bass-RB690-Cream with matching headstock

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Apr 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Price:
    Strings:
    This is one rare bass. I have had Ibanez roadstar P basses but this is the rarer Jazz version. Its also a active bass running off 1 9 volt battery. It is 100% original. The bass is super clean with just one noticeable finish dent on the inside of the bottom horn. Besides that there is just some light dings in the clear on the back. The fretboard and frets are excellent. All the black hardware looks great with no finish loss. The bridge is a top loading bridge, fresh light guage rounds strung. The lid to the battery box was broken off. It needs a new box, obviously cheap to replace just hasnt been done. Blue painters tape holds the battery in but will not leave residue when removed.

Not only is the RB690 model rare but I have seen only red and black ones, white doesnt seem to be common. It is more of a cream white, almost banana pudding.

Neck is kind of between a j and p bass and the finish doesn't stick at all. I find it makes for a very slick back of the neck. Sounds close to a p-bass with the preamp rolled off and just mean with it cranked. I play it dead centre and find it's got a nice attack without much noise.

You won't see this bass everywhere nor find a much more versatile instrument. I sold a 2007 Fender USA Deluxe J bass and the quality of the neck on this, fret work and all is on par with it.

I'm really not in a hurry to move this, I think these are so undervalued that what can I really replace it with for the money I will net? Nothing really, basically they sell for what a squier goes for. I wont be negotiating on this one and I hope the busted battery box turns off buyers, truly am not rushing with this sale. Just looking to clear space. No case.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Nice bass! These questions will give you a bump. Shipped in a gig bag or case? What is the year of production? Is the broken lid to the battery box still around? How is the neck relief?

Great bass! GLWTS

3. brings back some memories ... my second bass back in '88 i was super proud of, natural finish with lined fretless rosewood fingerboard and EMG's.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Weight?

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Weight?

6. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What's the neck profile like? Back of neck - shallow, deep, round, flat?

7. Its pretty shallow and round, pm me if you have more questions I only check my threads once a day

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The neck is fast and one of the best jazz necks I've played. I dig mine. These are real gems, lightweight, great necks. Great sound. GLWTS!

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    A free bump with a date check.

This is a 1986 RB690.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I've owned one just like this for years. Used to be my main backup for gigs and #1 for recording. Almost tempted to grab it myself

greatwoods.

/rick