Ibanez "Roadster"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 5, 2002.

1. Saw a guy playing one at a pub gig last night. I had a chat with him afterwards and he was really proud of it. Said something about it being fairly valuable.

To be honest, I'd never heard of that model before. But what a superb bass. He was a good player doing Jack Bruce, Noel Redding, etc, and his bass really kicked some ass.

Just for general interest's sake I just wondered who could tell me something about this instrument.

2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Don't know RoadSTER but they made quite a few RoadSTAR's. Decent instruments but nothing amazing or collectible.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Roadster came out in the late 70's-early 80's, I believe, before the Roadstar. Those were the 24-fret bolt-ons with the maple necks and P/J pickups that were shaped like the Musician. It's been a long time since I've played one, and I have no idea how collectable they are, but it seems like those guys I've heard of who have them really like them.

PS: There's lots of info on old Ibanezes at http://ibanezvintage.com

and the Roadster bass page is here: http://ibanezvintage.com/rsbass.html
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Had one in the '80s. No frets, J-J pups and two-band EQ. Maple neck and 'board, unknown body wood.
    I loved it! Sold it in '95, after ten years in the closet - then I picked up playing another 5 years later - stupid!
    The electronics were ordinary for actives in the early '80s, meaning fairly OK, not very great.
    The balance was slightly neck heavy, but easily redeemed with a suede strap. It was not very heavy.
    The neck was terrific! That is what makes me miss it so....:(
  5. I really like my Roadstar, great basses!
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a mint Roadstar! 1985 Blk&Purple with two active J pups and beautiful rosewood board.
    What a sweet bass! To this day I don'y know exactly why I got rid of it.
    That's one I would love to get back, Here's pic from the early 90's with it.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    In the early 80's I had one of the Roadstar 24-fret "Spector clone" models with the arched top, in white. Pretty cool bass, and very light (it was basswood).

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA

Man, that's awesome.
  9. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i do have an ibanez roadster.
    it was built in 1978 and weighs a ton!

they are pretty nice basses, but i don't play mine too much any more. i keep it because it was the first "real" bass that i had.

here's a picture of one that is similar to mine
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I hear ya;) Looking back on my hairband day's! Pretty Classic, I just asked my wife and she said that pic is from 89, :D :D I even owned a Poison shirt! Go figure!
    I thought someone would get a kick outa that pic!
  11. This guy's bass was very similar to the 924 as show in some of the links and pic attachments. As I remember, it was a tasteful red / yellow burst. It definitely had (perhaps a 5 or 6 layer) purfling around the body top edge / face and two mighty looking humbuckers, (perhaps like those fitted to a Musicman) not the P J arrangement. The action was fantastic. Didn't hold the bass so couldn't say about it's weight. The truss cover had "Roadster" embossed on it.

Like I say, it really kicked ass.

12. The Roadsters were excellent basses and were very underrated, as were most of the Ibanez instruments of that late 70s and early 80s period. I have a Musician that was made in 1979. Interestingly, it's not on the page below. Mine is a 920 model and it has 22 frets. It most closely resembles the MC 900. Since it's not on this page, I wonder if it's worth millions? :D

No matter what anyone thinks of the current Ibanez models, back then they were better than a lot of others. John, if you can get your hands on one, do so.

Mike J. www.ibanezvintage.com/musbass.html
  13. I'll bear your advice in mind, Mike, although I'm not looking to buy:rolleyes:

That really seemed a nice piece, though, and is obvoiusly a quality instrument.