1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Saber 1200 Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saber4, Oct 29, 2013.

1. I just recently acquired an Ibanez Saber SB1200. I've cleaned it up, fixed the neck (it had a strong front bow that had to be corrected with the neck taken off the body), crowned and polished the frets and it actually plays nice. Its my first bass in a long time... since I made the mistake of selling my trusty old 1983 Roadstar II RB Series bass a couple some 17 or 18 years ago.

I set the action on the high e to about 3/32" and a little higher on the bass side. The relief is decent although I could bring it in a little.

This bass has the active EMG P and J pickups with what appears to be 1 volume, one treble boost/cut and one bass boost/cut.

I believe that the 4th control, closest to the input jack, at the lowest point on the body, is the pickup blend control. Is that correct? If it is, there appears to be a problem because when I turn it counterclocksiwe, I get no sound. At the mid point where the detent is, I get full volume.

The wiring is pretty hectic on this bass. I suspect that something isn't working as it should but without a wiring diagram, its going to be a pain to figure out.

Anyone have pics or a wiring diagram of the electronics in this bass.

10566312234_cc341b4cc2_b.

2. After further examination of the circuit, the knob that doesn't seem to be functioning is the bass boost/cut button. The balancer works fine.

The bass pot is working as it should but is very rough, as is the treble and vol pot.

There's a dual opamp driving the treble and bass controls. I thought that maybe one side was weak but replacing it made a marginal difference.

In playing with the controls, I'm starting to wonder whether the bass but is actually cutting out too much bass at too wide a frequency cutoff.

The best solution, since the pots are rough and scratchy might be to simply put in an EMG BTS system. I've used the BTS before and it was quite nice.

3. darmstat4545

darmstat4545

Sep 25, 2007
    Does it look like this one?

Attached Files: