Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez - SB-7 Tone-Lok Synth Bass Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I just saw this at www.samash.com and was wondering if anyone had tried it. If this was just a little good and not great i would get it cause it was only 80 dollars.

2. Not yet, but I'm setup to try out a bunch of effects next week and one of them is the Ibanez Bass Synth. I love having connections.:D

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Please let me know what you think about it after you try it out.

4. [​IMG]

Get that funky Shaft sound and more. The SB7 does its thing in real time -- no drag, no tracking errors. You can even play chords. It provides 3 modes: Auto Wah for that frequency-funky Shaft tone, Synth 1 for the light synth sound of '80s new wave, and Synth 2 for a deep, heavy Bootsy Collins-style funk sound.

Features:
    No drag, no tracking errors
    Provides 3 modes: auto wah, light synth new wave, and a deep, heavy Bootsy-style funk sound
    Tone-Lok controls
    Turn your bass into a funk machine

5. Which will you be demo-ing? Do tell! Lot's of fun new tools/toys out lately....

6. I'll be trying out all the new Ibanez effects. Along with the SB-7 (Which I have been looking forward to after hearing the proto type made for Crazytown's bassist.) I will be testing the AW-7 which will hopefully live up to Ibanez's long line of great filters, and the PM-7. I'll be using a FZ-7 (fuzz pedal) allong with these effects and aranging them in different orders. Man, I love testing out effects.

7. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Seems like a promising pedal.

8. Iwsn't it next week yet? When are you trying this box....I gotta know!
    :p

9. Sorry to push your patience but actually it's this weekend... Any special request on what I should focus on when I try out the pedal(s)?

10. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i was actually going to buy a boss syb-3 pedal soon, but want to see how this pedal compares. the price is so much less on the ibanez, i'll want to see if it performs well in your demo.

11. Sure....They claim you can play chords?! This just can't be possible...I don't see how. It must be digital, that's for sure, and unless it's got some ultra new fancy chip it couldn't possibly be polyphonic. Not that it matters, it's just quite the claim. Suse out the "auto-wah" setting...does it play along with you or are you "playing" it? Digital EV filters never sound good IMO, very unnatural. The range of the "frequency" knob....how low does it go? Just from low-mid to high, or subsonic? I think you know which I'd need...:D And yeah...what does it sound like to you? Anything close to your EH or something else you may have heard? Comparisons would be great. It looks like a no BS, straight forward box. I like that it has a sensitivity control..seems great?
    Thanks!

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Given the price and the company's touting of the thing's tracking abilities (including chords), I'll bet that it's not a bona fide synth, but rather a fancy filter.

13. I'd say you were right. THAT would actually be more appealing to me than any new digital silliness. Now I am really intrigued...

14. OK here you go, I went out reluctantly because of the races going on blocks from my house. Getting out whas almost impossible; traffic was leading past my drive way.

The SB-7 is basically an overblown auto wah, the style switch is three preset oscillators leading into the same filter. So it's not a true bass synth but it's not digital. The filter on it is surprisingly good, no it's no subsonic but it seems to have a lower emphasis then most filters. The light bass synth setting is just a little punchy and is cleaner sounding then the auto wah or heavy synth settings. The Heavy Synth is really out of there combining a hint of distortion with octave below it really creates a fat grinding sound. The tracking is most impressive; cords don't flutter off as easily like most synths and the low notes are well preserved and handled. The coolest thing about this effect is the push knobs, no worries about taking it easy on this effect when switching live for fear of changing the settings. So considering how cheap it is it's surprisingly nice sounding. Rob and the team at Ibanez made some choice cuts to make it more affordable. But if you want to control the oscillator like with the Boss SYB-3, EH BMS or Korg G5 I'd spend the extra money.

15. That sounds very workable....I want one! By "oscillator", do you mean like a preset sweep? How touch sensitive is it? It does have that sensitivity knob on it. So, it sounds deep, just not subharmonic?

17. When are you buying yours?
    :D

18. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada

19. Many new effects boxes we see in the near future will ALL be digital. The only ones that won't be will be the handmade ones. The factory that made those panasonic, so called "bucket brigade" analog chips shut down some years back...soon they will all be gone. This is what I've heard.
    As for mods...try that "circuit bending" technique that synth guys use? They take an alligator clip and just start randomly connecting different points in the signal chain until they find a new sound the like. Solder up a wee switch for that and voila'! New sounds!

20. Man I've heard plenty of theories about the apocolypse before but yours is by far the scariest.

:D :D