Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SB-900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryuujin, Jun 4, 2003.

1. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    anyone know anything about this bass? I have found really limited information on it though what I have found is very positive which would be why I bought it on ebay for cheap azz $205 + 25 s&h . should be getting it next week but for now im just biding my time playing my SR-400 and attempting to find more info about it.

edit: its a 1991 but the auction said nothing about whether it was a LE or not. here is the ebay auction so you can maybe get more info.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534275541&category=38080&rd=1

2. That bass is so '80s, it hurts.

3. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    actually its not... from the 80's anyways. I know because the model line was made in 1991 and 1992 only. but the sb-900 was only made in 1991 according to orion blue book.

4. The '80s didn't end until the start of the Clinton administration.

5. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    This was posted by a player on Harmony central. Hope it helps.

6. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    ive seen that before but thanks anyways. ive searched and searched but could only find a few sites with any real info that I didn't have to pay for. was hoping maybe someone on here had used on once.

7. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a very rare Limited Edition Ibanez Sabre Bass made in around 1991 or so. It was made in Japan, which is suprising considering that there must have been some hand-work done in it's manufacture. It's THIN in the neck and body, very lightweight. I am the original owner and have gigged out with this bass for almost 12 years. It was originally Black, but I had it repainted by a pro to that translucent color (changes color from blue to yellow to purple and several in between) as my playing style had worn my thumb over the P pickups and into the wood. This is from heavy gigging- I can't blame the wood. It was my primary bass for 8 years until I aquired a G&L- now it's my backup bass; still there for every gig.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey- I WROTE THAT REVEIW!...

Seriously.

You got any particular questions, feel free to ask me. As I said in the review, I have had it since '91 or so and it is STILL in my arsenal.

8. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    And yes- that IS an LE- looks like original factory finish- they came in only 3 colors: Red, Black and I forgot the 3rd color.

9. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    so it does have an active eq and pu's? the guy I bought it from said nothing about the bass really.

10. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    oh oh and do you happen to have pictures?

11. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    yes- the pups are active and HOT. I beleive they did this to make up for any lost of sustain because of it being so thin. Truth be told, I never really noticed a short sustain.

It has four knobs: One controls (of course) volume, one bass, one treble, and pickup selector for the fourth (neat, really. I wish my G&L had that). The last 3 have a mid point "spot" in them so you can feel if you are midway without looking down.

The only pic I have available is on our bands website and you might have to brighten the pic up abit. http://www.doorno2.com/The Band.htm

BTW- if I'd known that bass was on the bay I would've outbid ya :D :bawl:

12. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    ahahahaha ebay has so many good deals... you just gotta wait and watch out.

13. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I got my SB900 and I have to say that aside from being a bit uncomfortable when sitting down this is one of the best basses I have had the chance to play. Not to mention that it is beautiful.

14. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY THAT!

Really- these basses darn near play themselves. I Saw the pic of your new aquisition and I have to tell you, you came off in the positive.

Hey, you have any questions or anything, lemme know. I LOVE these basses and I wanna propigate thier future. There are so few in as good condition that you got yours in. It looked as though yours is mint- seemed to have everything original.

Happy Bassing,

BassDodger

15. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I do believe that everything is original. Though There are some very minor scratches and like 3 small dents on the back it is in perfect condition.

I don't think I could have gotten a better deal for a bass. Came with a damn nice gig bag from Kaces. $225 for what I got is amazing.

16. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I noticed you guys are getting your cd released. Heh you guys should come up to Utah! :D Then you could see my baby in person. ahahahah. wouldnt that be cool tho... good luck with your cd though.

baby = bass in case your were wondering. :p

17. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Yea- great deal. Lemme know if you ever want to part with it... and keep that baby away from the pointy headstock! Guitar player from one of my old bands found out about it's usefullness as an impailing weapon!

Actually, the CDs are HERE! Sound great. I guess life really does get sweeter when you have barcodes on the case! They will be available on CDbaby soon- direct link from our website comming soon.

As I look on the CD, I see 3 songs were actually RECORDED with the SB900 are "Human Shield", "Must've Been Real", and "You're Not Alone". I do know that we have a few of those available for download from the Band's Website, but these recordings are NOT the final version, but of what we call our own "Version 1.0" (LOL). The full mastering on the CD blows those away and you can really hear the SB in action.

Piece of advise when recording: The SB900 is a VERY sensitive bass. Most recording engineers are going to LOVE the sound of it strait into the board but use SOME form of compression, even a slight bit...Hope it helps....

18. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Pic of My SB...(If I do it right)

19. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I liike the color on yours. Very nice. But I don't think that I will be parting with either of my basses anytime soon. I like to collect things and basses are one of those things I plan on having a good collection of.

20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'd say for 200 bucks you got a deal regardless of the bass :)