Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SDGR 5's. why do ya hate em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey, what is soo bad about the Ibanez SDGR 5's to you guys? My favorite bassist plays them (and Warwick) and the sound is killer. Whats up? I like the body style a lot. and i think they sound great...

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey if you like them & aren't looking for the OPINIONS of others why do you care what the others & i think? [not a flame] i personally have nothing against them but prefer the 706 or Erodyne or Erogyne [which ever it is] seris of Ibanez basses. The necks feel really thin front to back & a few tech guys i've talked to said they've seen monster problems in more than a few of the basses. thats all

3. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    I have a pair of SDGR 5's and I like them both. The '96 885 I have has a -really- quick and thin neck. Very playable. The tone on the B leaves a little to be desired, but that's what my Modulus is for. ;)

Incidentally, are you talking about Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit? (The username gave you away)

-geo?

[Edited by geo? on 09-13-2000 at 11:23 PM]

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It is all just a matter of personal preference. If YOU like them...that's all that should matter.

maestrovert and KingKrabb like this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't hate 'em. I don't BUY 'em, but I don't HATE 'em.

zontar likes this.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SR406 and 506 6 stringers do not suffer as badly from this, but almost all of the SR 5 strings have way too narrow string spacing IMHO.

Also, the poplar bodied version of ALL of the SR series are weak sounding, especially on the low B. Go for the maple bodied or the older high end models(1305, etc), or, you COULD break down and get a BTB.

7. Its about the sound that you expect from your bass.Personally i bought my ibanez sdgr,i found what i look for.Nothing more,nothing less for the price.If you liked and get the sound andfeeling you want,thats ok.
    You will play it,not your friends..

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I love the slim neck on my Sr885, other than that I dont like her. The tone is really WEAK compared to that of ummmm my Fender Jazz Deluxe, Even my junkie Hamer Slammer Series bass has a better tone than my Ibanez. B strings on the 885 is really thin sounding too. I also dont think basswood should be used to make a bass. Too light and doesnt give it enough umph. But hey if you like them go for it to each his own.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The upper-range Ibanez models are just too expensive for a factory product...at least in Germany. For example the Gary Willis Signature costs around 1500$, the Doug Wimbish even close to 2000$ - and we're talking 4-strings here...Also, Ibanez deviates from the usual Fender string spacing on the 5 & 6-strings, which renders them almost unusable for serious playing IMO - and w/ those high production numbers you're more likely to get a lemon - often the sound quality just doesn't add up to the numbers on the price tag. For that price you can get a custom-made German Bass (e.g. Bassline, Marleaux, Human Base, etc.) which are second to none...but this is just my personal point of view regarding Ibanez (or other Japanese Brands like Yamaha). And I still like my Soundgear 1500 4-string which was my first decent bass, I just find that other basses suit my needs better...

<b><big>If you like it, play it...and let nobody spoil your fun...</b></big>

10. I've had a SR405, and currently have a SR535, very similar to a 505 but pearl white and gold hardware.

I have trouble keeping the neck in one place. I have to keep the truss rod cover off because it seems to always be in need of a tweak here or there. I've had many other basses, none of which need such adjusting. I thought it may be string (brand) tension (I use DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams), but I use those on all but one of my basses with no problem.

If I ever buy another Ibby, it will be a BTB or SRX. Probably a BTB because my most recent acquisition, a Schecter Diamond P5, has wider spacing which I have grown to love and so does the BTB.

11. I wanted an Ibby SR badly for years, then finally got me a 905. I remember it was the first year they stopped making basses in Japan, so mine was a Korean one.
    The neck was slim and fast, but the spacing was really narrow, 16 mm IIRC. Good for fast pick playing (say metal), not so much for finger picking. Despite the construction being 24 fret neck-through, the access to the highest frets is not so great: in fact, a bolt-on 22 fret Lakland 55-94 offers better access. Also, the pickups and electronics were the korean off-the-shelf Bartolini Mk-1. It is noisy and hissy, the highs are not very nice. I had to add extra shielding and also changed the chip. That made the sound noticeably better, but it cost me additional $100. The overall sound was quite OK, I even called the bass "What A Fender Can Not".
    Altogether a nice bass, but not a steal. Also, the appr. $300 of price between a 905 (neck-through) and 505 (bolt-on) doesn't pay IMO. Just occured to me the price included a SKB-like HSC, which may not be available with the 505, but I'm not sure. I didn't like the case anyway, it was too massive and heavy and the plastic seemed to be ready to go off in splinters any minute when it was cold outside ( I didn't drive at that time).

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like the string spacing on them. Perfect for more guitar like chord stuff etc. However the Low B is mediocre to poor on all the ones Ive heard.

13. +1 on the B string

14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Their necks are too thin for my tastes and their Bs are too wobbly. They sound good enough but just aren't my thing.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I think that the problem with Ibanez, especially the SR series for me has always been the electronics and the spacing.

I'm not a huge fan of Barts, and It seems that they are in every Ibby. I am interested in trying the new SR with Nordstrands though.

16. String spacing is too tight for me.

17. I'll admit, at first I didn't like them because everyone I heard on them sounded like trash then, I played about a dozen and found more reasons to dislike them. Finally, I got around to hearing Tony Dickinson (YouTube - &#x202a;Symphony X - Domination (Bass Cover)&#x202c;&rlm;) maybe a year or two ago and gained a little respect for them ;).

18. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I find Ibanez basses incredibly comfortable to play. I think that a wise way to go is 1) find a well-made bass that is comfortable to play, and 2) fix the electronics if you need to to make it sound like you want.

Some people can't be bothered to tweak stuff, but for me, the best sounding bass in the world wouldn't come out of the case if I didn't like how it felt. Well, maybe if it was a Ritter or Wal, and then I'd just pull it out and stare at it...

19. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    Wow way to revive an 11 year old thread. TalkBass record?

I've got no problems with SR 5 strings. I play an sr505 (2006) with few qualms. The pre-amp could be better, but that has nothing to due with playability.

I play a half step down on all strings and my B (well... Bb) string still sounds gnarly.

Great basses!

For band practice and recording, the string spacing is awesome... for a live gig though, sometimes I wish the spacing was a little wider... I have a tendency to go ape s**t on stage.

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Really hate that tone.