Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez serial number dating

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    can someone tell me how to date mine? cuz if the following is true, i have a practically mint ibanez tr-50 from 1976 (or maybe im just really confused), and i didnt know that the company went back that far

my serial number is C60234**

IBANEZ GUITARS DATING

In dating Ibanez guitars made before 1987 .. the first letter is the month ( A is Jan., B is Feb, C is March..etc) the next two numbers are the year .. the next four numbers are the production number that month (they only produced 9999 pieces each month)..(example) ..C760287 = March 1976 the 287th. piece made ... In dating Ibanez guitars made after 1987 .. the letter is now the factory designation .. the first number is the year built ... the next five numbers are the production number of the piece for the year ..(example) .. F700015 = the 15th. guitar made in 1987 ..

http://www.chrisbsmusic.com/ibsernumchar.html

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wouldn't that make it a 1960? C60 = 1960, 0234 = 234th made that month? I've no clue, I'm just going off the givens...I'm guessing it's post 87, but again, have no clue...

Ray

3. Ibanez was around in '76--the earliest instruments I can find reference to are from the 60's--but at that point they were making Fender and Gibson copies mostly. The Musician and Roadster basses would have come out in the late 70's, and were really Ibanez's first departure from copies. The TR-50 came a very long time after that, so if you have a TR-50, you most certainly don't have a bass made in '76.

There are a lot of vintage Ibanez collectors out there. The big vintage Ibanez site seems to have been taken down, but for a look at some of the earlier stuff, see:

http://www.ibanez-vintage-page.de/

Mike

4. bittersaint

bittersaint

Feb 9, 2013
    hi! i'm trying to date my ibanez also where it was made, iguess it is an sr5000 made in japan. but i only have the serial number 51248, only numbers non letters on there in te front!

Attached Files: