Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez should resurrect the ATK...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I've read thread after thread about people singing the praises of ATK's and one cannot deny their popularity.

I, myself, GAS for the elusive (at least in Oz) ATK...and to think I almost bought one some 15 years ago and didn't :(

Ibanez should pay attention to what is going on and get the ATK back in production (like Yamaha did with their BB series).

What do you say, people?

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    They issued the RKB a while back, a close kin of the ATK, but it's since been discontinued.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree they need to bring back the ATK. ThAT might have been the best bass Ibanez ever made.

4. PM sent regarding one in melbourne for sale

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The day Ibanez actually listens to their customers is the day that Joe Nerve takes the Bongo off... :eek:

Actually, we have a better chance of Joe doing so. :eyebrow:

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I had one recently and quite like it, especially the neck (one of the nicest I've ever played). I sold it off as I had a standing offer on it, and when the wetseal in my bathroom went and my tenant wanted it fixed it was a simple job to move it and raise the needed cash. It would be nice to still have it, but it did what it did well, and not a lot else, but if you like that it's excellent. Mine was also much lighter than a Stingray.

As they seem to be less than common, I can only wonder at their actual sales figures when available and whether it would be worthwhile for Ibanez to reintroduce it. If they did, maybe a double humbucker option would be good too a la the new EB models. It's also popular I beleive because the secondhand price is quite low relative to any of the EB models. At roughly $A400 it's a great bass, but I wonder if it would sell new at a >$A1000 pricepoint, my guess it it's RRP. At $A1k or less it would be great value, and I hope it is reintroduced for those that like them. A limited edition reissue would probably be a viable commercial option too.
    Just thinking out loud.

7. Man, I played one of those in a music store years ago, and it sounded pretty good. (love Ricks and basses with a harsh attack). Were those active, or passive?

Nice hard pick tone, btw.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Active.

9. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    in fact, both!!! the ATK 100 was passive, 300 and above were active, I'm currently the happy owner of a new corean made ( I know not the best ones!!) ATK 400 and It has everything I like, my main dislike would simply be the mahogany wood which gives a too dark sound to my ears but everything else on it is very cool, I hat it customised I installed two new pickups in it ( by bassculture , near cologne germany) and had the whole neck finished in natural gloss so it plays so smooth now, I wouldnt ever want to part with this bass, I love it so much!!!

My next step in customisation would be to change one setting of the 5 position switch in order to mix both the MM and Jazz Pu's, and later I'll eventually try out a new preampr, we'll see

10. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    But why was the ATK line discontinued if it proved to be popular?

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    In the general marketplace, it wasn't. Remember, this is a subset (ATK fans) of a subset (Ibanez non-haters ;) ) of a subset (*intelligent* bassists). The people that really loved them post with great enthusiasm, but that's not the same as the buying public while they were produced. As now, it was at best a "below the rader" bass back in the 90's.

12. Tommi Jenssen

Tommi Jenssen Guest

Jun 21, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I had two of them in the 90's... both were active ATK 300's (MiJ), one natural and one sunburst. Soundwise, they were OK basses (I still have a recording of one of them). But I remember them mostly as being darn heavy and sounding a bit lifeless in comparison to some other basses back then.

But in general, they were good basses for the money I guess :)

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i had a nice atk300 in cream (rare colour apparently) which i sold about 3 months ago through the bass centre melbourne.

it was my first bass and hard to part with but i'm a bit more of p/j kinda guy. although there were some gigs i loved it!!!

only if i wasn't so cash strapped. but there great value for money!

14. I generally detest Nez's but the ATK300 was one of the nicest basses I've ever played...just needs a P-bass pickup in the neck...