Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez silver series (lawsuit?) fretless precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by link wray, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I just bought an Ibanez silver series precision fretless. Seems to be made in 1978. Also seems to be an original fretless, not a defretted bass. Is this one a 'lawsuit' one?
    Somebody refinished it very badly in black, but i think i will restore it to original color wich i think was ivory body and red tortoise/pearloid scratchplate. Neck is all maple. Does anyone have info on the ibanez 'silver series' or 'lawsuit' basses?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep Lawsuit bass. Great quality dirt cheap.

Almost bought a Lawsuite Ibanez Les Paul, sounded and played better than any Gibby I've ever played and only cost $350.

3. sounds cool. pics!

4. Sorry, no pics. I have no camera.
    Looks like i got a real bargain at 75 euros.
    Refinishing will be a load of work tough...
    Does anyone have any idea of how you strip paint off a pickguard?

5. FYI ...
    75 EUR = 90.2492 USD = 51.5853 GBP = 109.741 CAD = 121.122 AUD
    ..so ya its cheap

6. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    You can get a lot of information about the silver series (and any Ibanez) at the Ibanez collectors world site (http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi) they have a fourm for the replica instruments, and theres a thread on the silver series.

In general, the silver series and challenger series where the top of the line Fender replica instruments, with solid tone wood bodies, better hardware, and more faithful to the details then some of the other replica offerings they made.

As far as the whole 'Lawsuite' thing, there really was no suite, as it was settled out of court, and really just involved Norlin (gibson) replicas, and specificaly the 'open book' head stock shape in the US market only. Ibanez continued to sell gibson copies with the open book style head stock out side of the US after 78. The replica style instruments as a whole stopped shortly after this time as Ibanez began to focus on its own designs

I have a Challenger series Jazz bass, and its a great bass, regardless of how moderatly priced it was.

7. Thank you all, you are very helpfull.