Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Silver Series Lawsuit Jazz Bass Info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Does anyone know much about the ibanez lawsuit jazz basses? I picked up one today that has a maple fingerboard, black block inlays, fender style tuners, chrome pickup covers, red pearloid pickguard, and sunburst body. Is this from the 70's? The 80's? I don't know much about it but it sounds really good for what I paid. The headstock says "Ibanez Silver Series" and it looks exactly like a vintage fender. The serial number is 1774091 and it says it's made in japan. Any info is appreciated.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I hade one a few months ago & it was a real nice bass. Sounded great, played great. Ibanez made alot of copies in the 70's & I've seen alot of Strats & Les Pauls that are better than ones that are made today. Of course that's IMO.

You should be able to find some info <a href="http://216.250.245.172/copies.html"><b>HERE</b></a>

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for the info =] My bass is the first bass on top of the 2nd picture page (the small bad quality pic with the maple fingerboard). It's interesting that it is a birch top with a mahogany back.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool page, Nino! I played one of these at a church I went to when I was a teenager. I always wondered who made it.

Does anyone know why some Ibanez copies have the name on them, and some have no name at all?

[​IMG]

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You can't sue someone for copying a product if they don't claim to have built it.

AKA "The Real Book Loophole":D