Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Sixers - Which Do You Prefer, And Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 1, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hello all,

I've been searching for a six string bass, I'm looking to make the jump from four to six strings, and I don't have much money. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two basses, both of them Ibanez.

Ibanez SR506

[​IMG]

Ibanez BTB406

[​IMG]

I'm into all kinds of music, but right now I'm in a melodic hard rock/old school metal band, a school jazz band, and pit band for musical theatre.

I usually like a bright punchy tone with tonnes of midrange to cut through, and for a bit of growl. I play mostly fingerstyle, I like to tap a lot, and I sometimes play with a pick and slap as well. I need to be able to do all of these easily on whatever bass I end up choosing.

Also, these basses have active electronics, yes? So will this change the way my effects sound in any way? If it helps, I use an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, a Marshall Guv'nor II, and a Morley Pro Series II Wah, into a Yorkville xm200 amp.

So which of these basses do you prefer, and which do you think best suits my needs? What are the pros and cons of each, etc...?

Thanks,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. I'm looking into buying a six string too. Actually, the same basses, lol. I have a thread called "Calling All B String Users" mainly about the 34" scale having crappy B Strings, not true apparently...

Anyhow...

You may also want to check out the Tune TWB63. Sam Ash has it listed for around the general price we both are at with the Ibanez's. For the money, it seems great, and Harmony-Central has pretty darned good reviews! (same for the 506 too.)

Didn't think that I'd see someone else looking at the same basses I am, into the same general music, and making the same 4 to 6 jump as me... Ironic or weird, I can't decide!

~Ryan

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Woah...it is 35"? I never noticed...
    Personally, i LOVE the BTB. Great feel, enough knobs to mess around with, but I found it had a bit of a floppy B. Could have been the set up etc etc... But it still sounded good, and felt nice. The only thing i DON'T like, is the neck near the pickups. It has some weird design to it, and I kept going to play the 24th fret and it wasen't there. Also, when I slapped, I kept grabbing harmonics by accident.

4. That BTB you plated must of had a bad set up. I played a BTB 406 about a month ago and it played really good, At first it seemed to bright, but I messed with one of the stacked knobs and it then sounded great. I was playing it through a Gallien Krueger head and I think Agilar cabs, Although I cant remeber what the speaker sizes were. if you want wider string spacing Id go with the BTB, Its a little uncomfortable for me since All my basses have toothpick necks(Thunderbird, Ibanez GSR 190 and Rickenbacker), But I think with time I could probably get used to it, If anything were availble to me, Id have a btb body, With an SR neck and a BTB headstock.

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    BTB are play nicely

6. There is a thread bout B strings being floppy with 34".

The concensus was it depends on what sort of strings u use, how the bass was setup and technique. Not so much the scale length. Many basses sounded great with 34" scale.

Some say 35" 's G dont sound so good.

Setup is the most important. You can refer to the thread. Its just a few days old.

Remember, active basses have better tonal variation due to its preamps/ electronics.

The SR506 have bartolinies. The BTB that u have mentioned are fitted ibanezs.

Heard good things bout SR506's B string as well.

I'll go for the SR506!

7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    wow, Ibanez's are getting really popular around here with 6 strings!

I Just bought the highest end 6 string Ibanez sells, and the neck is similar to the 506. The SR's are better IMO because

1) They use Bartolini MK1's
    2) Thin wide neck good for slapping
    3)Very low action, I love it to death
    4)I like the shape better, mor organic.

I was wondering how much you have to spend because there are some slightly more expensive Ibanez sixer's out there, but if 700 is your budget, then the SR is a very good deal.

Another thing about the SR506. See how the input jack is tilted up on the side of the body? That's because it acts like a strap lock, and if anybody steps on your chord, it won't budge, just a cool thing I wanted to point out.

Go with the 506, you'll be happier in the long run IMO.

Greg

8. 1) The higher BTB's us bartolini pickups and pre's too
    2) The thicker neck has its bonus's even if some people dont like it
    3) My BTB has a low as hell action
    4) I like the BTB shape better, but theres something thats always put me off the SR shape

And about the jacks on the body, the BTB has neutrik locking jacks, so it doesnt come out unless you push the button :spit:

Have i just cancelled out your post :smug:

On the note of the original post, i'd go for the BTB, i have that one, and its pretty sweet :)

9. I prefer this one :D

[​IMG]

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Cosmic ;)

Thanks for the help so far guys, anyone else have an opinion on one of these?

I'm still a little worried about slapping, and the whole 'active with effects' thing, so any more help is appreciated.

I should've made this a poll. :(

Graeme

11. very nice!!

Graeme, i dont know what you should be worried about with effects, ive never had a problem like that using mine, as long as the effects have a level control, which all mine do :)

I dont slap tho, so, i dunno how it sounds as a slapper :p

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Different strokes for different folks.

Personally I love the 34" pencil neck of the Soundgear 6ers.