Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez soundgear basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hkbassist, Jan 30, 2001.

1. hkbassist

hkbassist

Jan 30, 2001
    Hi,
    I am looking for one IBANEZ SR series bass,i come from HONGKONG.Recently,i saw one IBANEZ SR590 from my local dealer.
    Is it good?where it made?

PLEASE help me and suggest me to buy one new bass,i am a rookie.
    THANKS!

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I had 2 Ibanez SR :
    - SR405, my fisrt 5 strings, which was a nice bass but not great. Lack of Depth in sound and the neck wasn't comfortable to me.
    - SR800, 4 strings, and I really loved it. The active electronic was great and the neck was really fast, thin and smooth. Loved it. It was a really light, fast, comfortable bass. Excellent for slapping/tapping sort of things.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am just waiting for Munji to come in here and blow a gasket (j/k Munji)!! I have a 400 and i like it alot. Although I will admit the pre amp leaves alot to be desired and i replaced mine.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey Mike, I am thinking of replacing the preamp in my 506.

What kind of preamp did you go with?

Did it make a big improvement in the sound?

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    The Soundgear Series is great for beginners. I have been playing for about a year and I wanted a five string so I got a SR405. I love it even though I know its not the greatest bass out there. I would definentely suggest Soundgears for beginners, like me. Mine was made in Korea.

6. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    WWWWOOOAAAHHH
    damn! another bassist in Hong Kong!
    that makes two of us!!!
    lemme guess did you go to tomlee? <--- they are overpriced bastards

7. hkbassist

hkbassist

Jan 30, 2001
    Hi,you come from HONG KONG too....that great!!!!

TOMLEE ****!!
    overpriced instrument!!!!!!

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought an SR 885 about 10 years ago, I had to replace the pick ups because they went snap crackle pop all of the time, went with Ibanez replacements, same problem, switched to top of the line(at the time) EMG's and added a heavier bridge (Wilkinson) and ended up with a damn good sounding and playing bass. I have to say that in 10 years I,ve never really had to adjust the neck the action has stayed really consistent. I bought an SR 405 about 4 years ago for a back up and was never really happy with it so I traded it in on my Warwick Thumb bass. I'm sure you can all guess which bass gets all the playing time these days. But yes for a begginer definatley Ibanez Sr series but buy the higher end models if possible.

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I got a Bartolini pre amp and pick ups put in and it really made a nice change. The highs are not as thin and hot and the lows have a great punch. I dont know the model #s as i took it to a professional and said here is what i want this to sound like. Make it happen. He did it.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    im not a big fan of the ibanez sr series either..had an sr400 at one time and and sr885..of the 2 i think the 400 had a deeper tone than its basswood big bro..but overall i think there sound is lacking compared to many other brands out there..im not a big fan on the craftsmanship on them anymore either...if i had to chose between the 2 and im glad i dont,, id go with the 405...as said b4...great for a beginer

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    When I bought my SR885 2 years ago,I thought it was a good value for the $600 I paid for it,and I still do.But if you're willing to give up some tonal flexibility(one pickup,no sweepable mids),the new MTD Kingstons are exceptional value for your money.Even Bass player Magazine agrees with me;they reviewed it in the February issue and it got an Editor's Best Buy medallion.I paid $415 for mine new in Nov.'00.

12. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    what school do you go to?
    i go to hkis...hahaha i'm filling up this post with random info...
    yeah no tom lee!

13. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I wonder if Soundgears may be inconsistent in how they sound from model to model... I recently bought an SR810, and I promise you that the tone beat the other basses I tried, which included a P-bass Lyte, Warwick Streamer, Corvette, Thumb, Music Man, and Pedulla Buzz. Now, most all of them sounded good (very, very cool woody tone from the Thumb), but the Ibanez had the kind of tone, and tonal versatility, that I was looking for. And it played like butter.

Looks are OK; I've got a translucent cherry model that shows the pretty drab grain of the basswood, but I really like the sleek look of body and neck.

If you aren't a chunky neck kind of guy (or gal), there is nothing out there that plays better, in my experience. Smooth, fast neck, light weight, very comfortable on a strap.

I like the P/J combo a lot, because it allows me to fatten up the J sound by blending in some P with the pickup pan dial, which I vastly prefer to on/off selector switches. And the midrange sweep, while I haven't fully explored it, seems like a pretty cool feature.

For somebody with smaller hands (like me), is there a better bass out there? Is there a better bass for the money? I was ready to spend $2,400 on a Thumb if it was the right one for me. Lucky me; I was able to get a bass that was near perfect for me for $550.

Dislikes: narly buzz when treble is boosted, and I don't like having to remove screws to access the battery.

As for the lower-end models, I expect that some compromises had to be made to cut the price a couple of hundred bucks, and I doubt I'd be willing to accept them. I can speak very highly for the higher end of the line, but I can't really comment on the budget models except to say that I would look at them very carefully before buying. I've owned several cheapo basses ($200-$300 range), and they were all crap. It pays to save up, if that's what it takes.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

15. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    810 is made of ash? So *that's* the difference from the 800. I wasn't able to determine that from the Ibanez website; thanks for the info.

16. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'll second Kezekiel in one way about the SR8** : it's the fastest bass I've played.
    But I thought the 800 lacked of really deep low and roundness.

17. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Any newer Ibanez bass is great if you have small hands. I used to be really into Ibanez...then I played a Yamaha BBN4, but thats because I have big hands and its easier for me to play it because of its long neck and wide string placement. Soundgears are nice, though you'll end up upgrading to anouther brand afterwards more then likely. There are alot of other basses for the same price that sound a bit better, but it all depends on the model. The soundgears do have a good sound though. And its a little easier for me to work in some sabbath stuff quickly on them because of how close the strings are. But usually the strings get in the way..Thats my only real problem with Ibanez, there made for someone with really small hands...especially their fives and sixes.

Anyways, I'm out. Later