Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SOUNDGEAR or ERGODYNE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by numbnuts, Jul 26, 2000.

1. numbnuts

numbnuts

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a choice of getting either an Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string or and Ibanez 5-string Soundgear. both are $710. which should I get.

Is there any other good 5 strings for under $1000?

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Numbnuts,
    Have you played both of these basses? My advice is to play both and see which one feels better. Also try many other brands of 5 strings. Tell the salesperson at a local store what kind of sound you're looking for and maybe they can help you out. Just play as many as you can and choose the one that you like the best. Good luck.

Dirk

------------------
    "When you die if you're given a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, I think you should choose pie heaven. It may be a trick, but if it's not, then mmmmmmm boy." -Jack Handy

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Ergodyne may have a dead spot or too. Check it out carefully. The Ibanez Prestige and Signature series are excellent basses. I would look at Carvin's 5-strings if you have ascended to the $710 level.

4. the stalker

the stalker

Jul 23, 2000
    If you're gonna get a Ibanez I suggest the BTB

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If your budget is about $1000, I'd look at a Carvin, a Fender or a G & L.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

6. numbnuts

numbnuts

Jul 26, 2000
    The two Ibanez models I'm looking at are the EDC705 Ergodyne 5 string and the SR885 Soungear 5 string. Both have a list price of $949.99.

I have read reveiws of both basses at harmony central, and no one complained of dead spots. The dead spots were mentioned in the lower end models.

7. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Ergodynes are great! (the 700 series). I used to really want one. Still do, but probably won't - don't have the money. It has unbelievable control over tone and even though the instrument itself is on the brighter side (slapper's choice) there's plenty of EQ to make it speak deep and warm.

When I was thinking about one I also tried the BTB-s. They have slightly wider string spacing, but just didn't have the feel of the Dyne, even unplugged. And Dyne is not wood, so if you stick with the same gauge strings it'll be "set it and forget it" as far as truss-rod, etc. [​IMG]

8. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Heya,
    I recently bought my second bass, a Ibanez EDC400, the 4-string version of what your considering. I personally love it. It's great for harder-type music. Actually, it's good for everything. The luthite body sounds and feels great. It is definatley is ergo!
    -Woody

9. Thumbslinger

Thumbslinger

May 26, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by numbnuts:
    I have a choice of getting either an Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string or and Ibanez 5-string Soundgear. both are $710. which should I get.

Is there any other good 5 strings for under $1000?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Personally I'd rather pluck out my nose hair than play or much worse buy any bass from Ibanez. you should definatley look around more. I can think of at least a dozen basses in the $700 range that would be a far better choice than an Ibanez. Sorry to all the Ibanez owners out there I just don't like their basses,only my opinion

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gear_Junky:

&lt;snip&gt; And Dyne is not wood, so if you stick with the same gauge strings it'll be "set it and forget it" as far as truss-rod, etc. [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, the body is not wood, but the neck IS, which means you will have to worry about truss rod adjustments, etc.

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

11. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Wheel:
    If your budget is about $1000, I'd look at a Carvin, a Fender or a G & L.

Will C. [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'll agree with Carvin and G&L, but the Fender 5's(WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE ROSCOE BECK MODEL!) have loose floppy B strings. The 2 Ibanez models mentioned have a better B than the Fenders, but the Carvins and G&Ls are superior, by far..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

bill longshort

12. sic and twiztd

sic and twiztd

Jul 28, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The two Ibanez models I'm looking at are the EDC705 Ergodyne 5 string and the SR885 Soungear 5 string. Both have a list price of $949.99.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Play both, and see if you like them. and on Music123.com here are the prices for them. no shipping [​IMG]

EDC705: $559.99
    SR885: $559.99

there ya go. better than paying $950 isnt it?

13. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sic and twiztd:
    Play both, and see if you like them. and on Music123.com here are the prices for them. no shipping [​IMG]

EDC705: $559.99
    SR885: $559.99

there ya go. better than paying $950 isnt it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey sic.....Just a thought....please fill out your profile, to the fullest....some people around here take offense to incomplete profiles....not me though!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    "Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, my wife bought me an Ernie Ball Stingray 5 for right at $1000. Where? You guessed it ... GC. How did this happen? Poor guy never knew what hit him. My wife is a buyer for a major U.S./International retailer. She haggles with the vendors in New York. No comparison.

15. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Personally I'd rather pluck out my nose hair than play or much worse buy any bass from Ibanez. you should definatley look around more. I can think of at least a dozen basses in the $700 range that would be a far better choice than an Ibanez. Sorry to all the Ibanez owners out there I just don't like their basses,only my opinion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't like Ibanez basses, why don;t you ignore threads on them, instead of posting crap like this?

------------------

bill longshort

16. nhaerdtner

nhaerdtner

Jul 5, 2000
    I have an EDB400 and it sounds nice. But the quality of the fretwork is lacking. Strings are very high and if you try to lower them you get fret buzz. Playabilty isn´t so good at all. I´d take a look on other brands like carvin.

17. I recommend the Ergodyne! I own the EDB600 and it's awesome! everyone who has touched it has fallen in love with it! :D hehe and I've heard and seen the EDC705 at a lot of local shows and they're amazing basses! I see nothing wrong with them at all! You should try out the basses before you buy em though =P see if they fit your taste.. they sure fit mine! Later!

-Willz

18. I have the 4-string EDC ergodyne, and I love it (playability, tone flexibility, etc.), but it does have 2 dead spots, one on the 12th fret of my A-string, which is very frustrating. And I thought I checked it out close enough at GC. So just go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Otherwise, I still recommend it, it's a solid bass for the money. I paid $550. Just tell the store that you saw it on the internet for $550 and they'll more than likely match it. That way you get the service too. I don't trust them dangberned internet shops! j/k.

19. just noticed i forgot to mention mine is the 700 version. The 400's might not be as good, but the strings are nice and low with no buzzing at all on mine.

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey have you conisidered a conklin 5? GT5s should be around your range or a little high. i've heard good things about them nice necks. Instead of going around & being like i want either a blah blah blah or a thingamajig try out as many as you can & pick the one that feels the best & hope that it agrees with your wallet.well get the one u like/want.