Ibanez soundgear: Pickup Control Clarification?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MicRidley, Nov 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I have SR400qm and need clarification on the control that changes focus between rear and forward pickup.

Like the other knobs, it has a helpful "notch" to let you know when it is centered.

My question is, when the knob is turned all the way toward the rear pickup, is it supposed to be soundless or ONLY the rear pickup?

If it's the latter, I'm going to have to get a solder gun and fix some connections I think...

Because, as it is, when I roll the knob all the way back, there's no sound at all going the amp. Yet, when I roll it slightly forward, I start getting sound from (What I think) is the rear pickup.

The sound is nice and crisp from there, centered, and forward.

Thank you in advance,

Mic.

2. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    You'd better get that solder gun out. But before that, this sounds like a short somewhere. Check for connections touching each other at the pot.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    In the rear position you should get the rear pickup only. You may have a bad blend pot or maybe the mounting nut is loose. The pot could rotate when you turn the knob and that could let one of its lugs touch something and short the signal out.

4. Thanks for your speedy replies.

I'll check the connections/fastenings when I get home from work.

5. Firstly, DON'T get the soldering gun out. If you are going to do any soldering, you want to use an iron, not a gun. Guns produce magnetic fields that may damage your pickups, and they are often too hot for the job at hand.

In any case, a blend pot is not a volume pot. It is supposed to pan between the pickups. If you get silence at any position in the rotation, then something is wrong.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021