Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Soundgear serial number dating and values

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matrok, Feb 7, 2005.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Anyone have any resources for dating an Ibanez Soundgear and determining it's value? I know it's at least from 1991 as that's when I bought it used.

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    contact ibanez and/or bluebook. they would know. a soundgear that i had from long ago (SR505) was an incredible bass that served as my main axe for about 7 years, truly a workhorse, but i can assure you that those things aren't worth much. tops, you can get $300 for a soundgear froim 91 (this is just an estimate based on the line, i have no idea how many strings or what model you are referring to), but for basses, unless it is a SUPER old fender, they only lose their value. there are oddities out there that you can't find anymore that are now worth a bit and obviously basses in demand fetch a pretty penny, but even browsing the classifieds on this board, you see folks slashing their asking prices on a fodera. i wouldn't put too much effort in dating/valuing your ibanez since you will likely be disappointed.

if you find out, please post on this board...i'd be curious what my ibanez is worth officially.

to the newbies out there, if you don't care about hand-made and are looking for an instrument that will give a decent all-around sound and last over a decade, check out ibanez.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What year is yours? I have an early 90's SR505 as well and it served me very well for many years.

Dennis Bender likes this.
  4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Same here!

5. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Yeah, I really wasn't expecting an increase in value, just wanted to make sure I didn't under-sell it. It's an SR800, my guess is from the 80's based on the color. I almost didn't buy because of the color, but I really needed a bass for a gig the next day. I also have an SR405 with a Bartolini pre-amp that I have used for the last 10 years up for sale. Trying to satisfy my Reverend addiction. ;)

6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    not sure of the exact year, but it had the 2 jazz emg select pickups (the bridge pickup was angled).

as for the value, your best bet to see street value is to look on ebay, click finished auctions.

7. I have an old Ibanez TR series, im 99% sure its a TR50, ive only had it 3-4 years, but it still works a dream, and i got it second hand, sure its early-mid ninetys in make, grand bass :)

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have an SRX505 that I'm selling, only about 3 years old but it's not worth much on the used market. Mine is in near mint condition, originally sold street value new @ $550, maybe it's worth $300-$325 now at the most. The older ones don't seem to have too much appeal .... like cosmicevan said above, check on Ebay

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    In the 12 years I had my 505 I have only seen one other, and that was on ebay 3 years ago, they wanted over $400 [I got mine new for around $550; they listed for $800], if I had had the bread at the time I would have bid on it.

The original 505 was only made for year or so. It was the last, or one of the last SDGR 5s made with JJ pickups and the 4 knob layout; they had a V, V, bass & treble setup. The body is soft eastern maple, like what Dingwall and Godin use now.
    All the info that I have on the TR 50 is: maple body, maple neck, P-style pickup, V & T controls, List price $360, %100 $288. appeared in 94. I glad you dig your bass, IMOP pre-96 Ibanezes are some of the best-bang-for-your-buck-basses out there.
    The Sr 800 is basically the longest lived of all the SDGRs, I don't know when they first appeared but Sr 885 [the 5 string version of the 800] appeared in 91.
    Basswood body. 5 piece maple neck [in 94 a 3 piece neck replaced 5 piece neck], AccuCast bridge, P-style/J-style Ibanez pickups, controls have gone through at least two configurations.

:cool: