Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Soundgear...success story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smelt, Feb 19, 2003.

1. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    Hi gang,

Just a good review of a simple 6-string purchase:

Being a seasoned bass player (15 years), I was pretty skeptical about getting this Ibanez Soundgear SR406 6-string bass. I was pleasantly surprised.

I come from an older school of electric bass playing, where the bass necks are round, and strings are long, and the bass work is American-made. So, reading about how "speedy" the Ibanez neck is, I mean how flat the fretboard is, how short the neck feels...most would have not looked twice at this bass. Also, the fact that I've played so many years (4-strings only). Usually guys like me progress to fancy wooded basses....you know... going from Ford to Cadillac.

==================================
    Well, I usually hate every bass I see in a store. They all are set up wrong, poorly intonated. Yes, skeptical. I picked up this Soundgear by accident....just looking for 6string basses in a store, not looking at name brand...this Ibanez played great! A month later, in another store, I played a used version of the same bass, again, nice feel. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me to get used to the extra 6-strings.

I've had it for a month now and love it!
    ==================================

The bass has simple passive pickups, with a 3-band active EQ. The pickups look like soapbar, but when you examine further, they are actually split-P style underneath the coverings, so no hum. Light Maple body, rosewood fretboard, neck is supported with a strip of wenge. Tuning keys feel good. Only thing were the Elixir strings....they were so damn heavy gauged! I replaced them with some lighter strings.

Sound: Very good. My sound is distorted and thick, similar to Rush Moving Pictures (staccato, no slapping)....so actually any bass I plug in to my rack will sound the same. The Ibanez pickups were abit muddy, but I was able to clear it up with the EQ, which also I was surprised at...simple, not too noisy. As long as I play with the bridge pickup, the sound is articulate.

All in all, great bass to move to the 6-string world. And it didn't cost me a fortune, about $600, free shipping with AMS, and a 3-month payment plan. I would recommend changing strings if you're not used to the heaviest gauges in the world. I will also probably change the pickups to Bartolini's, or at least the bridge pickup, that's it.

Just goes to show you, price isn't everything. Lots of companies get away with ripping you. They tell you "you get what you pay for" or some kinda lingo like that. Bottom line is to try things out for yourself, and be happy with your newfound independence! Take care!

2. NoFret

NoFret

Feb 15, 2003
    East Sussex , UK
    " I couldn't believe how easy it was for me to get used to the extra 6-strings. "

It's a ten stringer? hehehe!!

Just kidding ...nice review ,got a piccie?

Nick.

:D

3. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    10 strings, hehe funny.

:bassist:

The pic is from the website, but it looks the same,
    except mine came with this greyish chrome hardware instead...looks better than the black or chrome.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Awesome man. I love it when people go play something and don't worry about what other people think about it. I mean, you like it right? So do I, I mean, when I played one that is. Gotta love Ibanez!

5. My first 5-string was an Ibanez SR405, I like it.
    My second 5-string is in the proccess of being delivered, its a Brice V2 fretless (with lines because it is my first fretless)

I think an Ibanez 40whatever you want to play is a good pretty cheap choise
    my 405 used cost me only 250$ I had to get a sticker of Charles Manson off of it though...

play on...:bassist:

6. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    I too really dig the IbanezSR406. I must say I
    walked past it several times in the store but once
    I picked it up and plugged it in,well..I bought it
    (plus trade actually). I don't think I'd want it to be my only bass but a very interesting instrument..
    especially for the price. Makes you want to play
    and that's what it's all about, right? I did some
    research and this thing gets very favorable reviews everywhere. Probably a little G.A.S going on here
    hey, so much gear so little time.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This reminds me of some ad for weight loss or hair restoring products. "I couldn't be-LIEVE the results!"

How much did Ibanez pay you for that?? :spit:

brad cook

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, my first bass was Japan-built early-90's Ibanez SR600 (4-string w/ passive elecs), and it was very well built. I diden't like the tone though, for which I blame the pups.

Anyways, if someone's in search of good 4 with thin neck, I recommend getting one of the old SR600s - they are dirt cheap - and swapping the pups to good aftermarket ones.