1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Soundgear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ynie92992, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
  2. Dang- that'd be good as a 1st bass IMO!! Ibanez are great quality for $$$ & build quality-usually- I would've said always up until a month ago. But I went to my local shop & had a look at a couple of -I suppose- old stock Ibanez's & outta the 4 they had there 3 of 'em had dubious build quality. Gaps in neck pocket, rough finishing, bad routing round pups etc. Can't remember which models they were, but one was the P-bass style one in yellow w/ a white guard. Now these were reduced in price-so the store MAY have gotten them in specially at a reduced rate etc etc....But, I'd NEVER seen Ibenez' this bad B4. They've ALWAYS impressed me with build quality & value for $$$.

In saying all that- I'd definately reccomend the SR405QM. I used to own a SR405-with a basswood body. It was a great bass for the $$$. I'm not fond of basswood bodies for basses & in the end I sold it. But it did me for a few years & was reliable & solid!

3. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks man.:bassist: Any other people?

4. Dr Illing

Dr Illing

Feb 4, 2008
    San Francisco
    ehh I never really liked my soundgear all that much.

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I've got one... it plays wonderfully, love the styling and the neck profile etc.. IMO the electronics let it down. Be warned, there are no off the shelf replacement pickups for this model, nothing fits the stock pickup routes. I love the way the bass plays so much I removed the original pickups, took the "pickup guts" out of the covers and shopped around for someone to put new pickups into the existing covers... Ended up going with Villex, he is putting some new Villex units into the covers (which I sent over to him). The other crew that could have done it was Armstrong Pickups (in the UK) but I went with Villex because the sound samples on there site were fantastic.

So in short, the bass plays awesome but the electronics let it down somewhat. Once I get the Villex'ed pickups back and install them with an Aguilar OBP-2 it will be a KILLER bass, and I would be happy to do a tone shootout with any of the high end basses out there.. it will easily stack up (and cost a few thousand less)...

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The Soundgear 505 doesn't cost much more, and the electronics are nicer, being Bartolini designed. If I didn't get laid off, I'd have already got a 505 to go with my four 800's.....:D

7. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love my SR405QM. Great feel, great quality, good sound. I agree that you might want to also check out the SR505, but since you are looking for a second bass the 405 will probably do just fine.

8. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I didn't mean second bass in importance, I meant it will be my second bass ever owned. What do you think about it as a primary bass(I won't be in a band for a while). I am still learning to play better.

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey mate,

That is a very worthy bass, whether it's your first, second or fiftieth! Ibanez have great build quality and the tone is outstanding, even if it's not your thing, the pickups can easily be changed, same with the preamp. Just a word of warning though, with that particular bass, make sure you see a real photo (ie non Ibanez promo shot) of it. The finish is actually very different. I don't know why but the shot that Ibanez took makes it look like a redburst.

Anyway, I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

10. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Ibanez makes great basses. I have a GSR190, the cheap one that comes with the package. Great to learn on, and after finding the strings i like and getting a set up, etc., its better than quite a few more expensive basses.

I also recently bought an Ibanez guitar, a RG5EX1, and wow, it is great.

Can't go wrong with Ibanez

11. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    yeah, i heard it was more of a brown burst, is it?

12. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I've owned a few soundgears, not what i was looking for at the time in a bass, but I had no complaints about the quality

13. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My SR405 gets split duty with my Fender Jazz.

The finish on my SR405 is quite red, much more red than brown. I imagine that they vary from one to the next.

I prefer the SR series over the SRX.

14. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Try to find a used SR905 or SR1005. I played a 1005 at Sam Ash the other day and I was blown away. Great construction and more importantly, great sound. I've seen a few 905's go for $600 in the classifieds here on Talkbass. I don't think you'd need another bass for a long, long time.

15. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    I have the 505, and I use it more than more Marcus Miller bass. I LOVE their stuff!!:D

16. RDW

RDW

Feb 5, 2008
    RDU
    I own and play a 1993 Soundgear 500 (purchased in 1993). Hard maple 2-pc. body and maple/rosewood neck, active electronics. Played this in several bands and love the neck and tone.

Weighs a ton, but sounds great...

17. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
  18. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Playability of Ibanez basses was something I always liked, but the one in the link above... I dunno, it just lacks personality as far as looks go. I find this is the problem I have with them. Few of them LOOK any good. I know it's shallow to say it, but they do nothing for me. I quite like the look of the ATK series, though.

19. I have to give a big thumbs-up. Ibanez is fantastic stuff! I have a ESP LTD 5er, but I'm thinking about the SR 400QM in cherryburst as a 4 string. Got to sell my old Roadstar first.