Ibanez SR 300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sodacan, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sodacan

sodacan

Jul 12, 2011
    I really like this bass, but I'd like some other opinions on it, what's it like to play etc.

2. apkbass

apkbass

Feb 26, 2012
    IMO, you can't go wrong with an Ibanez SR if you actually like the feel of them. Understand that the necks are thin, "toothpick necks" as they call them. But the SR basses are comfortable, lightweight, and easy to play.

3. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I purchased a Candy Apple red 300 about 18 months ago and loved it. I replaced the standard pups with Bartolini MK4 pups. Incredible pups that provided an amazing range of tones. Heavy lows and great highs from tweeking the controls.

Alas, one day at Sam Ash, I came upon a MIA in 2000 Fender Jazz bass. So.... I traded my 300 plus a great MIM Precision bass for the Jazz. I was very sad to say goodbye to my 300 but I couldn't pass up on the Jazz.

Since that time I have missed my 300 very much. So much that about 2 months ago I purchased another Candy Apple red 300. I love it. The strange thing is that this current bass sounds better with the standard pups than my original 300 with Bartolini MK4's!!! I don't know why, but it is great!

The 300 has a great, thin maple neck and perfect balance. I am constantly switching between my Jazz and 300 for pleasure.

As with any bass you are considering purchasing, play first before buying. It is not unusual to play two or three basses of the same model and discover that they are very different in sound, playability, and tonal range.

I love my 300. :hyper:

4. Tbird70

Tbird70

Apr 10, 2012
    I just purchased the roadster orange one a month ago. I cant really compare it to others as it is my first bass. But I have played a few others just to kinda feel around. I really like mine and it sounds good to me. I can say that it is comfortable standing or sitting, doesn't seem to heavy and it is thin. I was thinking about putting some bartolini's in it, but once again I have just started playing bass and I don't think it will make much difference to my newbie ears. I'm very pleased with mine. The finish is perfect and it feels like a quality instrument. I just brought it home and started playing it. I havn't changed a thing on mine and everybody says it sounds good.

5. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm a fan of Ibanez basses too. All the SRs have wonderful "fast" necks, lightweight, comfortable bodies, and good balance. As you probably know, the 300 series is towards the bottom of their models, but they are still nice basses. The big difference is - as you go up the models you get better pickups, better fit and finish (things like filing the ends of the frets smooth), better woods used (especially on the necks) and ultimately - better craftsmen putting them together.

As Thegreatsealof said, they can vary a bit from one to the other within the same model - especially in the lower models that are assembled by less experienced craftsmen. However, if you shop carefully you can find some wonderful instruments at amazing prices.

I was in GC one day and heard a guy playing an amazing sounding bass that turned out to be an Ibanez SRX2EX2 - a very inexpensive model. I played it myself and was surprised at how good it felt - and the neck on that one was straight as an arrow. I talked to a salesman and he said that that particular one had been in the store 6 months and still hadn't sold. Instead of discouraging me, that actually sold me on the bass because I figured if that neck was still straight after 6 months in GC then I could count on it for a lifetime. I still have it and love it and I've yet to see a straighter neck.

The MK4 Bartolinis are a big step up in pickup quality from even the MK1 Bartolinis imho. The newer 300 series has CAPS pickups which are far better than other inexpensive pickups Ibanez has used over the years.

Long story short is if you choose one with a good neck you can swap out the pickups and have an amazing bass for not an amazing amount of money.

6. An Ibanez SR300 is a best buy price wise with what you get. It's a good looking bass with a really nice 24 fret thin neck, and the headstock is a small 2x2 with little neck dive. It has a 3band active EQ with a wide range of tonal sound, and is a little lighter than other brands. Ibanez quality is very good IMO, and would make a great first bass.

Most GC's have one in stock ..... try one out, and see what you think.

7. baddarryl

baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I have an SR300DX with the split P/J configuration. Very fast neck, amazing variety of tones, light, good balance. Can not find a better bass for the money period. When I have very difficult lines to play on other basses I will pick it up if I have to know them in a pinch. The front P pickup by itself is just mean sounding. Highly recommend.

8. I have 2 older SR300s, a 02 DX and 05 FM, both with stock P/J pups in them. So while I can't compaire them to the one in question. I can say Ive had a MIM Jazz, and P, Dean Hillsboro, Peavey Millenium, Ibanez artcore, Epiphone EB-0, LTD Phonix, among others. And FOR ME, the SR's is the only way to go. I hate that you can only get P/J's in gio's now. But there are used ones still floating around and yesterday I acquired a 405 with soap bars and I must admit I like it alot more than I thought so I might not sweet the old p/j's much at this point.

9. I have a silver SR300 for sale, brand new and everything, I played a few of the same model before and they were all amazing.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021