1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR 400 neck issue!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I love the look and the tone of this bass (power span pickups) however it seems like I adjust the neck and a week or two later I'm getting fret buzz and have to readjust, it's getting frustrating and I have turfed better basses for this same reason!

Is this a common problem with these because of the ultra slim neck and being made of maple instead of the harder bubinga and jubota? Or am I just lucky?

I'm actually thinking about gutting its electronics and swapping them with my mk1 equipped Sr 750!

Good idea or am I nuts??

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    What year is your SR 400? I have 2 Ibanez SR 500 basses. 1 is a 94’ and the other is a 95’. Both have maple necks. Both basses have toured all over the Country with me, and have experienced extreme climate changes from 100 plus degree heat in Arizona, Nevada and California to below freezing weather in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming the next few days. In my 24 and 23 years of owning both basses, I’ve only had to slightly adjust the neck just once, and that was on the 95’. And the reason for that was I had it next to an old window in my bedroom that accidentally opened very slightly during a snow storm causing the room the bass was in to get really cold.

With your bass, it could be simply how that neck is, or where you are keeping it is experiencing either temperature or air pressure fluxuation enough to cause the neck to need to be adjusted more frequently.

I also have a 2010 Ernie Ball/Music Man BFR Limited Edition Bongo 4H with a roasted maple neck. All of my basses are kept in hard shell cases and in smoke free climate controlled rooms. Every bass and guitar I own has a very stable neck and I have never had to adjust any of them. The exception is my BFR roasted neck Bongo. Twice a year I have to adjust the neck even though it is kept in a climate controlled room. Usually as soon as summer hits, I have to adjust the neck 1 way. Then, about 6 months later as winter hits, I have to adjust it the other way. I live in Colorado and the elevation where I live is almost 4,000 feet above sea level. Even though all of my basses are kept in a climate controlled room, I have been told that the altitude of where I live along with the different air pressure and changing weather is probably what is effecting that neck and for whatever reason, that neck is just super sensitive to it thus why I have to adjust it at least twice every year.

3. knockerjoe

knockerjoe Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2016
    N.C.
    No, you are not alone. I have a SR300e. Any change in the weather causes the
    neck to go out. It has got so bad that I leave off the truss rod cover to adjust regularly.
    I think a good fart will throw this neck off lol. This is my beater bass so I just learned
    to live with it.
    I have a old Fender P. Adjusted the neck once in 25 years.
    I have a SR650 and a SR655 and they are much more stable.
    Maybe some other owners can chime in here?

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Mine is new, I have had it for about 3 months and have had to reset some frets, adjust the rod about 3 times, and it is not buzzing again! It started again a few nights ago. It was fine, but I dropped tuned the bass to practice a few songs and that's when I noticed the buzzing agin so I tuned back to std and the buzz is still there between f and a on the e string!

The bass stays in my room which has lots of tempture variations, I live in southern Alberta about 3 hrs north of Great Falls Montana so we have similar climates, but my basses are kept on a rack not in cases

5. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Yeah I think the neck is the acalies heal on these basses unfortunately

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I like the body so muck I even thought about finding an old Sr 500 and rerouting the neck pocket on my 400
    to fit the more stable neck lol

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    it's not instrument specific, in my experience, just happens with some necks when a piece of lumber that is finnicky gets used. i had an LTD vintage-204 that shifted 3-4 times a year. 1/8th turn of the truss rod in or out fixed it every time. just had to check before I took it out to play.

8. I have two SR300e's, and although I don't have the adjust the truss as often as you do, it did take a lot of trial and error to get the action set right. I tried different setups for well over a week before I was happy, but now both of them plays great with fairly low action without any buzzing.

9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    If your bass is new, it sounds like it has a real touchy neck. The good news is, it should still be warranties. Contact the store you bought it from or even Ibanez directly and do a warranty claim. They should swap out the neck free of charge and pay for shipping both ways.