Ibanez SR-480 Problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwoertz, Sep 8, 2000.

1. jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000

I own a new Ibanez SR-480 and have noticed that it goes out of tune very easily, especially when I put even the slightent pressure on the neck. I checked all the neck-to-body bolts and they seem file. Did I just waste a few hundred dollars on a cheap bass or what?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe the quality of Ibanez basses HAS been going downhill. I have a 6 string that I really like, though it could use better pickups & electronics. I have never had any tuning or stability problems with the neck, which is quite thin(front to back) for a 6, although admittedly it is a lot more massive than their 4 string necks, AND has 2 truss rods.

I have heard other people on the board complaining about spaghetti necks on their Ibanez Soundgear 4 strings. Soundgears used to be decent basses for the money, but maybe that has changed in the last 3 - 4 years.
  3. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    You just got a bad one, apparently (but, have you checked your strings -- are they broken-in?). I've had one for about 4 months and I've only tuned it once, and have never had to adjust the neck -- just a slight bit of extra relief added from Illinois weather changes from May through September. It's a great bass for the money!
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I own and regularly play 3 Ibanez basses and dont have the problem. They are however notorious for having dead spots especially around the 12th fret.You may want to check the intonation as well.
  5. 4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

I own an Ibanez 480 and it kicks ass, like the guy said, "you just got a bad one". Mine works great!
  6. jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Gee, thanks. "You just got a bad one" is a real help!
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What string gauge do you use?
    And how much string is wound up on the tuners?
    Three turns are usually enough - w/ more it takes longer until the strings reach a steady pitch...

Also, you can tighten up the screw on top of the pegheads - they won't turn that easily anymore, but will hold a pitch better.

You don't have to use much pressure when you fret a note and it won't get out of tune as much...and you have to avoid pulling/pushing the string sideways...

Also, using a very high action will more likely get you into intonation problems....

That's what comes to my mind - hope it helps you out...