Ibanez: SR 505 vs BTB 405 QM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer#dan, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Hi guys! I own a Fender Pbass MIM and I know Ill need something more versatile and more playable in the future, as soon as I can afford it indeed. Pbass is a good bass but... its not the definitive bass for me (Im having a bad time finding my bass considering Ive been playing for about 2 years and Ive had 5 basses so far...it sucks).

So thats the deal. Ibanez took my attention, and Ive heard they are quite good, similar to Yamaha quality, which I love. Im trying to decide between the SR 505 and the BTB 405 QM. What do you think of these two basses?

Some info: I play in a pop-rock band, not any flashy, you know, just playing in the pocket and laying down some nice fills. Apart from the band, I play lots of slap, tapping and harmonic stuff cause Im a fan of funk and prog, so I need it to be versatile and comfortable for slap and tap.

Thx in advance. ;)
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I prefer the BTB 405QM.
    However, you gotta consider that it`s 35", has wide string
    spacing and is a bit heavy.
    OTOH, it`s quite versatile, well constructed and the 3 band Eq with sweepable mids is a nice feature.
    Anyway, play them both before you decide.
    Don`t decide based on other people comments. What`s good for ones maybe bad for others.
    Good luck.
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
  4. Ive got the 406, and a friend of mine has the 505, i personally think the BTB is a much better sounding bass, the 505 just sounded flat in comparison, the btb's are a little heavier, and they dont have the thinner necks of the SR's, but as suckbird said, try them both
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I own an SR500 and a BTB405 (which I'm about to get rid of...) I really dislike the sound of the BTB, it has this really annoying "honky" sound in the mids, which makes the bass sound like s*** when you record with it. I adore my SR500, it is a work of art, and I'd put it up against any bass for twice its price! But then again I've never played the 505, nor have I ever played a Soundgear 5 string I've liked. So go play them both!

PS for "slap, tapping and harmonic stuff" I'd go with the SR, because the neck is a lot more comfortable, has slightly better balance, and the neck isn't sticky or slow feeling like the BTB.

Go play them both and compare them head to head.
  6. thx for all your advice. ;) Ill try them as soon as I can and Ill tell.