Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR 506 BM - opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoli, May 11, 2005.

1. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Hello to everyone!

As I would like to buy one, I would be interested in your oppinions about Ibanez SR 506 BM: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR506

For a very attractive price we get a 6 stringer with two active Bartolini humbuckers, with a Bartolini EQ and with a very attractive body.

For those who own one of it [or tried one of it]: what's your opinion about it? What are it's strong and week points [if there's any]?

Could someone tell me the width at the first and at the 24th fret in mm?

Thank you!

2. I have the sr505 and I like the tone I get for the price I paid. The bass is comfortable and I like the looks as well. My ONLY complaint is that I can't get the fret buzz out of the B string. I did have it set up but it just won't go away. That being said, my folks here that have the SR's say that this is not an issue with them so I may just have a bad neck or the guy that set it up didn't know what he was doing. Other than that, I can get a pretty good slap tone and finger tones. I play with a pick about 2% of the time and it sounds good there as well.

3. ProDigit

ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    Zoli, I have the SR505. I believe I've allready posted my comments on this site about this bassguitar.
    - Slightly little High, and a little too much low for my taste, though that can change with new strings.
    + Elixir strings as factory default
    - I get a lot of overtones (I mean the harmonics), almost on any note I play on the fret... again, could be the strings though..
    + Lightweight, very nice build frame (the 5 strings wheighs as much as an average 4 strings out there)

* the Bartolini MK1 pickups provide a little more bass (between 200 and 400HZ) then the original Bartolini's.

Factory settings are quite ok. I had to adjust the bridge, for 2 strings only. I had no buzz though, but the buzz either means that the neck has been tightened too much, either that the B-string is adjusted too low. According to Ibanez the strings should be 0.5 to 0.8mm from the 8th fret. In reality, the B-string, since it makes bigger swing then the others is closer to 1-1.2mm away from the fret.
    Jay_t, the adjustment of the B string is very easy. When laying the guitar on it's back, there is a inbus screw on top of the B-string bridge, that needs to be tightened like only 180°
    Try it out, and the buzz might be gone.

4. Thanks! I check it out.

5. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    jay_t and ProDigit,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope that will join us an SR 506 player, too!... :smug:

Zoli

6. ProDigit

ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    Zoli, don't get deceived. The pickups on the SR series are passive.
    But it has an active EQ, which uses battery.

I personally don't even need the battery in the EQ.

+ about it is, when battery is dead, you'll keep on playing. Though the BOOST function (in high/mid/and low) will be gone. (cut will still be active. I personally only use the CUT for the LOW.)

- would be the slightly lesser dynamic. In my findings the SR505 is a great bass. Mainly made for warm music, like jazz, fusion, or soft music.
    Rock could be also played with it, though the guitar, and the pickups are not really for heavy music styles like garage or punk. If you prefer to play that style of music, you might like the sound of the SRX series.

I don't liked the looks of the body of the SRX series. Otherwise I would've certainly bought it; as for sound, it sounds better then the SR series! though, that's a matter of personal flavor :)

7. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Guys,

I searched with Google for Bartolini MK1-6 PU, but i didn't find any site with details about it. I wanted to know if it's an active or a passive PU. That's because on http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR506 I didn't find any information about it.

So, I don't know what to think... can any SR506BM owner help me with specs?

Thanks,
    Zoli

8. It has a 9 volt active preamp in it with passive bart pups. That's all I know though... Not sure what the preamp model is.

9. ProDigit

ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    Bartolini® MK1 3-band EQ

preamp => Active 3 bands EQ. The battery is needed for Low, Mid, and High BOOST function. the 'Cut' function is still working fine without battery though.
    The boost basically gives you the option of increasing bass, mid or tre. By opening all 3 you could plug a (Jack to mini Jack and a: ) small headphone in the guitar, and practice without an amp.
    this page: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/eb/series_frame/area_e/frame_sr_gsr.html
    shows that it are passive pickips you're using, on an active EQ.

The 2 pickups are quite powerfull ones. If active pickups really makes that much difference to you, you might wanna check out other basses. Ibanez largely only has passive pickups, even in their prestige series.

The Bartolini MK1 pickups are still giving great sound, good quality. Though more noise then the USA made Bartolinis I tested.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    As far as entry level 6-strings go, this one's pretty good. 2.125 inches wide at the nut, 3.25 inches wide at the heel. The neck's thickness is thin and fase, but not so thin as to cramp your hand.

The tonewoods impart a darker tone than, say, a bass with an ash or maple body.

11. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had it. Awesome bass. The parts are great for the price. Bartolini pickups and preamp. Strung with elixirs. Comfortable and sounds great. I would definately recommend the bass. I sold myn to trade up for a warwick. I play mainly classic rock, and jam stuff, so i dont need the extended range. I find myself never using the low B, however i love the high C. In the future i may get a 5 er and string it EADGC

12. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    As I understand, you would like to sell it. If I understood you well, please contact me via e-mail: contact@bassplayer.ro

Thank you!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played this exact model yesterday and fell in love. Neck is small enough to get my tiny hands around without being cramped and clumsy. The electronics were warm and versatile, and frankly, it played better than a $4500 Fodera on the wall next to it.

14. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I played the 4 string model in my local shop which has a bunch of different Ibanezes in stock. I didn't plug any of them in, but the SR500 had a fuller, more resonant acoustic tone than the other ones. It was light and playable...I'd like to try the sixer! What's the street price on these?

15. I own the SR 505 and for the price I think its agreat bass. I have small hands but the 5 string version isn't different from a 4 string bass when it comes to the neck. The bass is also very light, it weighs about the same as my GSR 100 if not less. The body of the bass is pretty skinny also so its a very light bass and easy to swing around lol. I play Heavy Metal and sometimes I jam out with my friends playing Metal-Core and it sounds amazing. I guess if you can mess around with the 3 band EQ and also the EQ on your amp then you can make it sound just like any bass out there especially since it has great sounding Elixirs. But yeah I'd deffinately recommend this bass since people say it wasn't meant for a heavy music and yet it seems to fit in perfectly in my band.

16. I get a great sound out of my sr505 for rock and decent slap tones with a little tweaking. I also have some friends that do the jam band/ electronic trance and I get a nice warm and rounded tone for that as well. And that is straight into a PA.

17. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Altough I got a lot of impressions about Ibanez SR 506, I'm still waiting to hear about it from an SR 506 owner.

Thanks,
    Zoli

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Listen to konfishily, he recently sold his for financial reasons.

19. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Tplyons,

Thank you for your advice!

Zoli