1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez sr 755 vs ray 35 vs American fender p 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    All are about the same price. Which would you prefer for classic rock/blues/country

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I would pick the sr755, because IMO it's a better instrument than the Ray35, and although I'm a big Fender fan, I don't care much for their 5ers... The Fender is going to have the widest and thickest neck of the 3, FWIW... Those 755s are really nice basses, and have alot of tonal variety on tap...

- georgestrings

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am going to add another option. Just use an octave divider

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I own a Ray35 and feel it's as well built as either of the others. The hardware may be better on an American Fender, or not. All three play and feel good.

I think any of the three will work, it's just about what sound you're looking for. The Ibby has the tightest spacing, followed by the Ray and the Fender.

Best of luck with the search,

Bob

5. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    USA Fender People 5, of course.

6. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Three completely different sounding and feeling basses.

I can see any of the three working for the genres you mentioned. The only kicker might be the "country" one. It's not that any of the basses won't work but there might be an image issue with some country musicians.

7. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Does anyone know how to turn off the auto complete on a playbook. :rollno:
    It should read p bass of course. I will change it

8. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    We only do a few country songs, which are either new or we modernized them. We are mostly blues and classic rock

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Country has eased up on that in recent years. Seeing a lot more 5 strings, and Kenny Chesney's bass player uses an SR5.

Bob

10. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I see a lot of active basses in country these days, like Sadowsky and Lakland. I said the Fender already, but I'd be just as likely to choose the 'Ray.

As for classic rock, any of the three choices would do, but the Ibanez would be my last grab. Coincidentally, these are three of the brands I own and use. Any of them would sound great with flats through an SVT.. ;)

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Actually, I think that use of 5 string 'Rays is pretty common in country these days...

- georgestrings

12. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Definitely, I see a lot of SR5's in country but you still have some traditionalists that might frown upon a modern 5, especially for older country music. It doesn't sound like this is the OP's case.

13. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    This is how I would sum it up.

SR755 = Modern & active tone, modern & sleek look, polite sounding with a nice palette of tones, comfortable neck with tight string spacing (I think 16.5mm).

SR5/Ray35 = Definitely a modern & active tone, can be aggressive and in your face sounding but can get a nice chunky tone too. It has a narrow string spacing to some of 17.5mm.

Fender 5 = Classic passive tone with extended range, classic looks. I believe the string spacing is 19mm, which is a standard 4 string spacing.

A loft of times, string spacing usually makes or breaks a 5-string bass for most folks. If you've played a lot of fours or slap alot, etc. I'd figure out what you might prefer in string spacing before going ahead too much.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Excellent post, IMO...

- georgestrings

15. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Other than price range, what got you to decide on those three basses? They're all so very different... It's like saying, "I have $20,000 and I need to deliver pizzas. Should I get a Harley, a Prius, or a Kia SUV?"

16. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    How do you think they are the same price?..isnt the American Precision V about $500 more than the other two?

17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The fender is used

The ray35 is old stock and price is reduced

The Ibanez is brand new

I prefer the looks of the Ibanez, the sound of the ray and the feel of the fender. Confused yet? I am

I am surprised no one has mentioned the octave. I do have a nice one on my line 6 m5

I am just trying to to make an informed decision.

18. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    you're screwed!!...lol

You have my sympathies though.. I too have been running through basses recently.. and just picked up an Ibanez SR1200 and if I ignore that fact that its not a joe-cool selection, its a great bass...

if your preference is for the neck of the P, you could also look at G&L tribute 5ers.. ?

19. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada

20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    IF anyone is following this I went with the Ray35. I will do a NBD post later when I have more time