Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR-885 Mod options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 8, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have been using Ibanez SR-885's since around 1999. I had an awesome blue one that got stolen and went to GC to find a replacement. I ended up getting another 885 because the tone and neck were the best package for the price and my playing style.

Ive been upgrading my stuff over time and am considering changing some of the pickups on this thing (the electronics might be a little harder because it has that variable midrange control, which is really useful to me), maybe to redefine my sound a little bit. I just dont really know where to start. I think since it's an Ibanez the spacing might be a little bit tighter than other types of basses.

Based on a little research what I have in here now are ADX5 neck/bridge pickups (not much info about these online), the electronics/pups are active and uses a 9v. Do you guys think these are good enough that modding might not make a big difference? What are alternatives?

[​IMG]

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I modded a SR1205 with EMG BTS pre amp and EMG soapbars (40P5 in the neck position and 45J in the bridge position) Basically it became a PJ with active bass and treble. You could use that same pickup set up with BTC pre. It was a great sounding bass that served me well for years. Recently I decided to sell it, so I returned it to stock set up. In my opinion, it wasn't even the same instrument with the original electronics in it.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks Jerry. What does the cost of something like that look like?

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY