1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR...? How to figure out which model is bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supy, Nov 11, 2016.

1. supy

supy Commercial User

Nov 11, 2016
    Hello there! I have in my stock of basses one ibanez SR...dont know the model. I have found serial number and its says it was built in 1995 in Japan, Fuji-gen Plant Factory. The serial is F514748. Dont know how much is worth and i want to know. Thank you for all you help!

Attached Files:

2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    First--nice looking guitar
    Second-not sure which model--but there are Ibanez catalogs online where you can check
    As for the serial number, I'm sure someone here knows what the mean off the top of their head.
    I don't remember it for more recent ones.
    I do know older serial number patterns for Ibanez.

But a simple search online may help find one of the serial number deciphering info

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Almost sure it's an SR8xx series. Damn nice basses too. Dunno it's worth though.

4. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I agree. Basses above the sr800 were neck through. I believe the 800 was the best selling ibanez for many years (I even think I remember one of those musicians friend mail catalogues saying that it was their top selling professional bass for 199?)

5. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Take the neck off. Ibanez sometimes put the model number in the neck pocket during the 90s.

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Yup, it should be labeled where the neck and body meet. Capo the strings with a little tension to the tuners and you won't have any trouble getting the strings back to where you want them. I have never played a made in Japan Ibanez that I didn't like.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If it's a neckthrough, my guess is SR1200/SR1200TT w/black knobs. Top looks flamed/quilted albeit a little faded. Maybe a SR1000 with a top on it.

If it's a bolt-on I'm gonna say it's a SR890GH.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  8. supy

supy Commercial User

Nov 11, 2016

9. supy

supy Commercial User

Nov 11, 2016
    Its bolt on :). Still didnt figure out, but closest is SR890H. How much dou think is worth

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Shot in the dark estimate.........$500-$1000, maybe less, depending on condition and the market. I could be way off though. I am no authority on Ibanez basses but they don't hold very high resale value. Even the top of the line basses don't get very much on the used market.

dralionux likes this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The older Ibanez SR800 and above basses made in Japan were the predecessors to the Prestige class of basses Ibanez has now. Used today, it's all over the board - because the model # isn't on the bass, it's sometimes mis-identified as being a cheaper Ibanez model like an older SR400. The SR800 bass may look like them but couldn't be any more different- very well made and a full active bass (active AFR pickups and also preamp). I bought my SR800 for $100 (probably misidentified), but I've seen them go for $300-400 for the painted finish, the particular one you have (I'm thinking it's the SR890 or a SR900) you can probably get a little more, around $400-500. Can you take a picture of the back of the bass though? One thing that looks a little unusual is the wood on the back of the headstock. The SR800 and 890 basses were to my understanding maple with rosewood fretboard(painted to match the finish or clear varnish for some of the 890s). The SR900 I believe has a bubinga neck. If it's a SR900, you can probably sell it for around $500. Resale price for ibanez basses take a pretty big hit generally.

Here's an example of a SR900.
    SOLD - 1996 Ibanez SR900 VOL, European Market Only Model, MIJ Japan Mahogany/Bubinga Neck *GREAT BASS*

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    1996 SR1100 koa top
    14748 is a may build. they could have been building them in 1995 for 1996 model year. they were probably in stores in late 1995 anyway.
    looks like this koa model was only available one year

zontar and MarkoYYZ like this.