Ibanez SR - Japanese 90 vs todays Indonesian

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wakizashis, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Wakizashis

Wakizashis

Jun 15, 2019
    Czech
    Hi guys,
    I can buy SR from 90s and wanna ask if those are really really that much better than todays ones, usually made in Indonesia. Looking at models SR500 and better. Price is pretty high in Europe, but still lower than new Indonesia made + original hard case. Pup config of J P is new to me, but kinda appealing tho. And I might be biased due various RG570 I had and liked a lot.

Played friends indonesian SR 500, but did not liked that much (probably crap setup and strings way high), then played same 505 (same model with 1+ string) and hell, i liked that. I own myself Indonesian 4s BTB 470 from 2008 which neck is little chunky to me and while i love the tone and look, i feel i kinda fight with it a bit... Maybe lack of practice is the reason, but that is for another discussion. Thanks for opinion...

2. Wakizashis

Wakizashis

Jun 15, 2019
    Czech
    And for a little update, one guy her offwrs sr1000, no case for about 450 euro. Should be in very good condition. Price is same as MIJ. Sr600+ hardcase. I guess I should maybe get sr1000 then?

Bassdirty likes this.
  3. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I'm not sure there's any major difference beyond pickups, in the SR series. Fancier woods, fancier plating on the bridges ... window dressing.
    I would look up the electronics differences, to see if that swayed me.
    A good quality hard case is nice to have. So if I were going to be gigging soon, that might play into my decision. Then again, I've used the same gig bag for my bass since 1996...

Wakizashis likes this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'd go with the SR1000 if it's in great condition. Is this the 90's bass you're referring to? Is it the PJ SR1000 or the newer version of the model with the soapbar pickups?
    These are both SR1000 models, earlier one on the left.
    fpiygeu5zk4bd1i2dmvd.jpg c7onhyts9pbaiwzp7w5g.jpg

Wakizashis likes this.
  5. Wakizashis

Wakizashis

Jun 15, 2019
    Czech
    Jup, both are P/J setup, 90s Japan both black (suites me)

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    there have been a lot of sr1000 models
    SR1000
    my favorite is the model with the PJ pickups and ebony fretboard made in japan.

ajkula66 and Wakizashis like this.
  7. Wakizashis

Wakizashis

Jun 15, 2019
    Czech
    Ebony? Waw, my favourite board wood. Did not know. I think that sr1000 will be only rosewood. Did not even asked as I have thought it is maple or rosewood for Ibby. Still not sure if more money into sr1000 is worthy. Also I am not a fan of laquered neck too... or I did not like the necks themselves and they were laquered, tho it looks awesome and soft brushing paper might do wonders... loved the sound demo of sr600 on yt. At sr1000 there are DiMarzios maybe, or at least I have read that. So you would guyes favoured sr1000 over sr600 any day?

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    1991_japan_catalog_p38-39-jpg.jpg

Wakizashis likes this.
  9. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I would buy the SR1000. I’ve had a couple of Ibanez basses built in Indonesia and one MIJ. The Indonesian models were unquestionably very nice instruments that were well built with quality woods, but they definitely did not match the quality of the MIJ build and woods. To be fair, a bass or two cannot be assumed to be representative samples, and I’m sure the Indonesian facility is capable of matching MIJ quality. If I had the opportunity to play both, I would ignore the country of origin and pick the one that felt better in my hands. If an Ibanez bass feels good, There is absolutely no reason to hesitate to buy it just because it was made in Indonesia. However, if I had to choose between the two without playing them, my default choice would be the MIJ.

Wakizashis likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021