Ibanez SR model comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P1h3r1e3d13, Aug 26, 2013.

1. P1h3r1e3d13

P1h3r1e3d13

Jun 9, 2012
    I'm a beginner/intermediate bassist looking for a step up (and a string up!) from my Squier Affinity. I've been shopping Ibanez Soundgears (I just love that neck!), but I couldn't find any straight answers about what all the model numbers mean. I'm hoping some Ibanez aficionados can help me out.

I gleaned the following info from these pages:
    PNDvuhz.png
    (I left off the cheapies and the fancies. I'm looking in the $400–500 neighborhood, new or used.)

Does that seem right? Am I missing any important distinctions?

It looks like the sweet spot is at the 505 level: better bridge, pickups, and EQ, plus neck and joint. Above there, it's just body woods, and I don't know that I'm good enough yet to be picky about that.

Thoughts? Advice?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Supposedly, the higher the number, the higher quality, or added features, or more complex construction the bass has. They are all good. I gig regularly with a 2011 SRA305, a MRSP $700 bass I got on closeout for $279, and I am more than pleased with it for a gigging 5-er to go with my custom P/J.

The bottom line is that Ibanez is aware of players' budgets and price points, and offers a range of instruments accordingly. Whichever bass fits your budget and playing style will be a good bass.

3. Ibanez SR quality starts being excellent in the sr500 and up (500, 505, 506, ect..)
    So you're on the right track with the 505.
    I started playing on GSR200, and have owned the SR300. I've since traded up for the sr600 which I LOVE. I recommend that one if you can find one but don't get me wrong, I've never had an SR model that I didn't absolutely love.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, the SR300 and 400 are good basses (absolutely ideal for beginners IMO) but you start to get a real quality instrument once you hit the SR500 and up. Unless you are a fan of the finish or woods used on the higher end ones, there is really no point in going past the SR500 if you are staying in the triple-digit SR series. Once you get to the premiums and prestige, you are talking about a different animal entirely. Get an SR505! They are really great instruments :bassist:

5. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    SR500 is definitely one of the best bang for buck basses around, but I'd go up to the SR600.

For the extra $50 you not only get more attractive body finish (Natural or Walnut Ash, I love the Walnut), but you also get black hardware which not only looks better but doesn't show corrosion like their silver hardware (they call it Cosmo Black). Black hardware just looks classier.

But above the SR600, the only difference is body woods, everything else remains the same. Until you move up to the Premium (different pickups, bridge, body woods) and the Prestige (hand made in Japan, U.S. Bartolini pickups, premium woods, think they have reinforced truss rods).

6. P1h3r1e3d13

P1h3r1e3d13

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks all. I picked up an SR505FM on Labor Day sale yesterday and played it at church this morning. I think I'm in love.
    zhMhYUhl.jpg

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Congrats-
    they're a great value for the price.
    For anyone else interested-
    some of the older (not-currently-offered) basses are great deals used: maple-bodied w/active or passive pups,
    standard SR4, SR5, etc 5-piece necks if you're not mahogany-inclined and can be had for <$300.00 used.
    SR506's had dual trussrods, slim profile, great finish/quality, 'P' config soapbars- research 'em a bit.
    Great finds can be found .

8. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Comgrats! That's a nice finish, don't see too many of those.

9. Awww...love is so nice.

Good choice.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021