1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR or SRX???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slinginsix, Mar 8, 2008.

1. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    Hi Guys, I'm looking at both the SR and SRX line. What difference in tone do these series have? The SR has Barts and the SRX are magnet hbrs, I think. I'm not really familiar with the Bart sound...what is the tone characteristics of the 2 different types of pups? Thanks.

2. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    The SRX 505 I just sold had a fairly scooped sound. Nice clear highs, boomy lows... but no way to dial in a little punch without having to cut the highs and lows.

The barts do a nice job with the mids, and on the 3 band EQ models, they have a good bit of flexibility to the tone. I can't make my SR500 with barts to get a tone as clear as the SRX... the trebley clearness of the pickups in the SRX was nice. But I can't trade off mid range control for treble in my band.

So if you like the scooped sound with a nice bit of highs, get the SRX. If you want more control over the mids, and a reasonable amount of treble, stick with the SR with bartolinis. If you can, check out a few others... there are a few of the Ibanez pickups that have a good sound and come with a 3 band EQ with variable mids. There's also a few with EMG pickups that sound very nice.

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    srx has high-range pfr pups. they both have super thin necks, but the sr is slightly thinner.