Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IBANEZ SR... OWNERS SPEAK UP!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Hey guys, my bro just got an Ibanez Sr400, and as always, healthy competition is a good thing, now I'm wanting to know if these basses are good enough to try to go to a higher model, or if they're not worth my time....Any help is appreciated.....thank you

2. Do you like the sound of the sr400? If you dont really like it, getting a higher end SR will just give you more SR sound, not something different. If you do like the sound, buying a higher end model will give you more features on your bass.

well ive got an SR 1200 NT Its a great bass for the money. You might just want to try to get a higher end SR used and you could probably get a used one for as much or only a little more than the SR400 new.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't like the sound of my Soundgear 6 at all. too thin, no mids at all. Great if you are into the Fieldy thing.

If I ever get around to changing out the electronics on it, it may be a useable bass. For now, it's not.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I own a SR305DX and it has good sound all around!! I mean if I hit a 23 or 24th fret on any string it pulls through just as loud as a B or E. I love it and I played on Rickenbacker (which blows this away) and Sadowskys (Which also blow this away) but I would get it before a fender 5er. I would get a Fender 4 string all together though. I just love those. (Cheaper than Rics and Skys! but If I had enough $ I'd get one of each)

5. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I bought a new SDGR 800 4-string in 1993 or '94. It played like a dream with a sweet neck and light weight. Maybe it was just me, however, but I could never get a nice bassy tone out of the thing without the sound getting muddy. Plus, when I got a SWR Workingman's 12, the true sound of the bass came out. The pick-ups and/or electronics were so noisy they sounded like radio-free europe. It's a good bass for the $$ but I would spend about the same amount of dough and buy a Carvin.

6. I've got an SR505 which I really like but don't use; would you like to buy it? Red with black hardware.

7. do you play bass already? if not, why don't you take up guitar? that way you could jam with your brother.

8. Yeah, DHC, I've played for about a year, he's the multitalented one, he plays guit-fiddle, and drums too.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have an early SGR 1000E, with the Gotoh 3D bridge and the single-pot semi-parametric EQ (1991 or so).
    I like it, lower action than on most guitars, sounds ok for the price, but I think the electronics and pickups are kinda weak.
    I put in some Basstec pickups (it's all humbuckers now, even the J-style bridge pickup) and usually use it as a tenor bass. But I lent it to a friend right now.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Anyone out there wanna buy a SR305DX? ot's only 2 months old!

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why need to buy a high end model if you've only been playing a year? Don't worry about showing him up with gear, because that's just money, and anyone can get that with the will. Practice up, and totally OUTPLAY him, and that'll be much better for competition. Not to mention, you'll be able to say you can outplay him AND have better tone with a worse bass, which will just inflame him more, no? :)

For what it's worth, I think the soundgears these day's are a total waste of time. Look elsewhere.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i don't own an ibanez, but i played an sr3006 (wenge/bubinga bolt neck, mahogany body, single string bridges, etc.), and i was truly impressed. it was a used bass and had some mods done to it. it had a bart preamp (so it didn't have those el cheapo rubber control knobs) and soapbars and had just been set up with fairly low action and had also just been restrung. dean markley nickel steels, i think-the silk wrappings were a really light grey color...anyway, this thing _smoked_. i almost lost my marbles. heck, i even liked the pretty abalone inlays and the striped ebony laminate on the headstock. sweet bass, indeed. it coulda been the eden head and swr henry the 8x8 i was playing through :D the only thing that turned me off to it was the tight string spacing. to each his own...

13. I just picked up a used SR800 on Ebay for around $ 350.00. I'm pretty happy with it for my purposes. Bought it out of necessity, really. The joints in my left hand have degraded to the point where it's getting too painful to play my Fender P, so the thin neck is easier on me, and I can get lower action as well. I know there are better basses out there, but not for $ 350.