1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR premium 1405 electronics question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by toowrongfoo, Nov 25, 2017.

1. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Hi, glad to be here.

Shot in the dark, but anyone ever work on one of these basses where the active have gone out? What the problem is that the active switch used to be kinda shaky and then now has gone completely. The pickups, volume and pickup selector are fine.

I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

Also, if it's not something I can fix, what replacement would be a good option? The pots are scratchy and cheap anyways but I'm not sure if there is anything that would drop right in.

The bass itself is a good one and very playable. The passive sounds good, but I like having the active option.

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'd replace the onboard pre with a Nordstrand 3b, or an Aguilar OBP-3.

joselorellano likes this.
  3. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Ah, a rookie mistake, should have known there would be a preamps/pickup section.

4. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    I guess in looking at the bass, it has 3 (what appear to be smaller pots) and then the two regular sized pots (volume and pan)

I'd like to replace all of it. But it's kinda unique to the bass, know what I mean?

5. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    I own a SR4005e (Prestige version of the same instrument from a few years ago, with Bartolini pickups and Ibanez electronics) and I replaced the preamp with an Audere 3ZB (which came with its own set of pots) with no issues whatsoever. The only thing to be careful about is that the electronics cavity is small, but the luthier who did the mod told me that the Audere and its battery fit nicely in there, and that if I'd wanted there'd even had been enough room to install a second battery for 18V operation.

So I'm not sure how large a Nordstrand or Aguilar preamp unit is, but I can tell you that there exists at least one aftermarket preamp that fits in there without any routing required. It also markedly improves the instrument's sound and versatility.

6. Apparently the problem is with the active/passive switch? If so, then don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Replace the switch, and be done with.

seang15 likes this.
  7. If the passive part is working I would probably try and bypass the switch and jumper a pickup right to the preamp section. If that works, just replace the switch.

If, however, you’re looking for an excuse to replace the electronics, go for it...

8. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look up the "jumper" aspect and see how that goes. I suppose it's not something really easy like.....putting the wires together (nah, that would be too easy)

9. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Well, the reason I never yanked out that switch is just for the reason (that it's so tight and I don't know how to trouble shoot this kinda thing) but I forced it out and touching certain part yields some sound, and it's active because you can adjust the pots.

Now there is that familiar "ground hum" that comes with that. Anyways, I'll contact Hoshimo and see if I can get that part and see what it costs. Or, better yet, see if I can trouble shoot a faulty solder joint. Any ideas welcome.

10. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Ok, we can close this thread :lol:

I'm an idiot and a genius all at once. It occurred to me that maybe it's simply in need of some love on the soldering ends. Bam. Drop the mic.

I guess if I'd never have started this thread it would have never happened but all in all I've just been too lazy. I'll endeavor to do more next time.

Thanks to all!

11. Glad you got it fixed and that it was relatively easy.

toowrongfoo likes this.
  12. If yours has a 3-way switch for the middle frequency, you're golden.
    If not, you might consider upgrading the preamp to one that does that, and also allows the treble knob to cut highs when in passive mode...

toowrongfoo likes this.
  13. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Crap, it's futzing out again :(

Man, I don't trust local techs, but I think I'm going to have to plunk down and get it done right. It's not the battery, something isn't soldered right.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Ok, I think I've got it now.