Ibanez SR series (speaking primarily on earlier SR305 and the recent SR305E)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBCT, Aug 3, 2018.

1. BassBCT

BassBCT

Mar 3, 2018
    Zachary, LA
    Before I acquired my own Ibanez I had done a lot of research to see what peoples opinions were and about their specs. Now I've been aware of Ibanez's and their basses since the 80's, have owned an SR5005 (that I didn't like), and had a bass player pal who's been using a neck-thru SR1205 for years that sounds amazing (he bought his in '94). Based on my own experiences, and going off of what I've read about Ibanez's quality, it seems to be hit or miss thing, them letting some things slide on a batch of basses, but the majority of their output seems to be pretty spot on. So, in 2016 I bought an SR305E and it turned out to be an amazing bass (the sound was perfect, it looked awesome, felt good to play, ect.). Recently I decided I wanted another one, so, I found an older used one with a maple fingerboard (a white 2009 SR305M). I lucked out in that I got it cheap with a case included, it was setup pretty nicely, it sounded pretty good through headphones (anxious to hear it through my amp in a few weeks), and it does "look sexy". I wasn't sure I would like the narrower string spacing inherent to the SR series, but I discovered it forced my left fretting hand to move easily across the strings as well as keep my hand from having to do any crazy stretches to reach notes (no cramping up). To sum it all up: I think Ibanez's SR series look, feel, and sound pretty damn good!! Other than a few mistakes I feel Ibanez has made in the past (and from what I've seen and read, they have addressed - with hardware and electronics) their SR basses are great across all their different levels/models (a cheaper model feels and sounds just as good as one of their pricier models). The thing that gets me is why some have trashed them so harshly before in other forums or reviews. So, with that said, if any of you have an opinion, I'd love to hear about your opinions and experiences with Ibanez's SR basses (and keep it civil, folks; this is just for information and fun)......GO!!

2. I have a SR300E that I love and often choose ahead of my Fender USA P-basses. Great sound, great build quality, great playability.

BassBCT likes this.
  3. BassBCT

BassBCT

Mar 3, 2018
    Zachary, LA
    I had originally considered purchasing the Yamaha TRBX305 before the Ibanez SR305E I did end up buying. They are pretty similar when comparing their specs back to back. The thing that tipped me over was that the Ibanez just looked better ergonomically speaking.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The shining part of my ibby SR300E is powerspan pup and flexi EQ.
    I have no single reason to modified it. So, I only spend a set of Ti flat , now she sing much better.

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    for the past five years or so, i've really liked the SR basses from the SR200 on up to the SR1800e. i like the sound and feel of all of them, and i love the models with the nordies - i also really like the barts that were in my SR500 a lot, and i'm currently considering one of two new ibanez basses.

i have no complaints about the SR basses at all - i'm actually a huge fan.

6. KeepItMoving

KeepItMoving Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2018
    I'm biased, having recently bought an SR650, but have to say that it seems like a really thoughtfully engineered instrument. The neck feels great and seems built for long-term stability, and the way it's set into the body means that there's good access all the way to the 24th fret (that was a big factor in my situation). The CND (Carey Nordstrand Design) pickups are very versatile and good-sounding, especially the P, and they work fine without a battery - I really like not having that as a point of failure. The thing just feels good to play - lively and fun!

pcake likes this.
  7. BassBCT

BassBCT

Mar 3, 2018
    Zachary, LA
    Here's my two SR305's. I've had the 2016 autumn fade-finished version for a while. The 2009 metallic white-finished version I just recently acquired. 20180803_192516.jpg 20180803_193059.jpg 20180803_193123.jpg

Spidey2112 and ReasonablyHappy like this.
  8. songofthewind

songofthewind

Aug 1, 2013
    Just got an SR500. Excellent bass.

9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i like late 80s/early 90s japan made ibanez. the earlier ones are probably good too. i just dont have any. i prefer the lighter sleeker ones.

10. BassBCT

BassBCT

Mar 3, 2018
    Zachary, LA
    That is exactly how I felt when I played it through my big rig for the first time. I like modding up my basses, but that SR305E just doesn't need it. It's quiet, very warm and snappy when needed, the output/gain of the electronics is strong. Basically, everything I need it to be.

Yahboy likes this.
  11. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I hear much more praise for SRs than trashing. In fact I don't hear trashing at all. Most of the criticisms towards SRs are very measured and boil down to "It's not my preference".

I have an SR655 with Nordstrand-designed P/J pickups. It sounds great, looks great & it's light and sleek...but the string spacing is too narrow for me and I prefer simpler passive basses. So...I do not play my SR655 anymore :(

12. I'm with you there. I have owned other Ibbys before and after the SR300E, but none of them have been as versatile sound vise as the 300E. Personally I think it's the Powerspan pickups that does it for me.

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Not really. There is a lot of bang-for-buck in the SR300E, SR370E & SR400EQM, but they still can't compared to a Premium or Prestige Ibanez.

Paragraphs allow people to read a lot of text easier.
    I skimmed your text, because it was too difficult to read it all.

14. I think sometimes Ibanez gets a bum rap as they just offer so many different models in a lot of model ranges, and they change models a lot from year to year, they rarely keep a given model in production for a number of years. I can not think of another large manufacturer that offers so many models, is so willing to try 'outside the box' ideas, and is so quick to recognize and use outside manufacturers parts in their axes (IF you woke up tomorrow to find that Fender was offering basses with Nordstrands or Barts installed, would you think you were dreaming?). they're quick to jump on popular finishes, and tend to follow the 'hot' woods that the individual builders are using. I think we are VERY lucky that they are as committed to such a broad range of basses, my hat's off to them.

The SoundGears are THE bass for guys looking for something lighter, slimmer, and faster. You'll never convince me that they were not heavily influenced by the TUNE Bass Maniacs, but nonetheless they can be fantastic instruments. I have a soft spot for the Japanese-built axes from the 80's, but the new ones are just as good if not better.

15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i hear people say SR are sterile and thin

16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The SR will not have as many offspring had they been sterile... :roflmao:

Herrick likes this.
  17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i shouldve said they sound sterile...

18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    haha... I've got what you meant. But still... sleek profile SR series doesn't directly translate to sterile and thin sounding. It all depend on many factors.

19. I love the SR line.
    When my band records I often use the guitarist's SR500 from when they were made in Korea, and it really delivers the goods.
    The comfort of the neck and body is second to none. It's like putting on those jeans and shoes you've had forever. And after my other basses it's like it plays itself--so effortless. Just a winning design. The refinements over the years and the way good features eventually trickle-down to the lower priced models is a business model that other manufacturers would do well to emulate.

As I've been playing mainly Ibanez guitars and basses since the late '70s, it's very odd that I don't have an SR myself right now.
    Been hunting the pawnshops for one of the current SR400s with quilted maple top and Powerspan pickups. Or an SR500 with one of the alternate "non-brown" finishes.

I'll mod a bass from mild to wild if I feel it has a solid core and just needs tweaks or cosmetic help to reach full potential.
    There is nothing I would change on a recent SR.

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I don’t think they do. I have many many sleek profile SR and SB basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021