Ibanez SR series; what are the differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gergify, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Gergify

Gergify

Nov 14, 2008
    So I've decided to finally upgrade/switch back 4 strings. I went to my local GC and played around with their basses.

The Ibanez felt and sounded the best. I tried everything else in my price range (Schecter Studio 4, Fender J and P and etc) and I kept coming back to the Ibanez SR700.

I was hoping to find it used, but it seems SR700s aren't very common. I found used SR500s.

I was wondering if they are the same bass with the only difference being the finish.

2. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    the most difference is the woods on body and neck

3. The SR500 and up have Bartolini pickups in them, the lower numbers have something else that I'm not familiar with because I've never had anything below the SR505.

Sometimes the body woods play a difference, but not a huge one. For instance, my SR755 is a bit brighter sounding than the SR505 that I used to have due to the body being made of maple while the wings are something else. But it's not a huge difference, really, I just cut back on the treble a little and it goes back to SR505 tone. It does add to the versatility a little though, which is cool.

The biggest difference, IMO, is the aesthetics.

Now, the new SRs have a switch on them that boosts either low mids or hi mids. I personally think that's really cool and enjoy it a lot.

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Bolt-on vs. Neck-through is a significant difference. The BO are in the SR500 series and below, and the NT are the SR series (numbers) above SR5xx. Some of us prefer one type neck, or the other.

5. drumNbass28

drumNbass28

Nov 18, 2010
    Belgium
    Hmm, I'm affraid you're wrong Staccato... Maybe it was like that in the past, but nowadays all SR series are bolt-on necks... I own a SR-705 and it's bolted-on.

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    The SR700 does sound different from a SR500. The reason why the 500s are so popular is because ppl don't generally feel the need to spend more money "just to get the same bass with only a fancier top".

Yes, there are enough differences between these 2 in order to give them distinct model numbers, but in the same time, in a band / live situation, I doubt many ppl would notice...

7. My mid '90s SR 1300 is bolt on

8. The 700s felt a little better when i was trying a few SRs, and IMO were much better looking. The most recent SR500s all have this brown mahogany finish which i dont really like, though they are still good basses. Id say the SR700s are worth it if you have the money to spend, otherwise the SR500 will do fine.

For what its worth i have an SR706 that i love! :D

9. BLDG50BASSPLR

BLDG50BASSPLR

Nov 6, 2011
    I own an sr500,sr800. I love the feel, the sound, the play ability. I don't think their is any bass that has the feel of the sr series. I play thru ampeg svt pro 3 to 2 ampeg 400watt single 15's also an eden w two 12's !! You should hear godsmack,pod,priest thumping at half vol.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021