Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR Soudgear series question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rus115, Mar 26, 2002.

1. rus115

rus115

Feb 10, 2002
    USA
    Im sure youve heard this question before but, ive recently sold my old Ibanez GSR, now im left without a bass and confused. What is the best sounding Ibanez SR bass? im open to all options really but i like Ibanez alot. Any help or advice is highly appreciated

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    IME the higherthe number, the better the sound. try an SR3005, youll know what i mean. i think as soon as you hit the SR800 mark, youre in good territory. ive had one of those (the ash bodied one) for 4 years now. great bass. i think SR800 was the cutoff point too, for having the bass made in japan, opposed to korea or china. i played a SR3005 in a store once, truly a professional level instrument. if you can find a used USA model those are even better as far as construction quality and attention to details goes.

3. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I have owned a Sr705 (upper level) and still own a Sr405 (mid-low level). The SR705 has a really stingey sound which is near impossible to alter. On the other hand I think the SR405 is the superior bass in the SR series because its the only one with a maple body and 3 band active electronics. I sold the 705 because I hated it so much, I think I'll buy another if I get more money. :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a BTB instead.

5. If you don't mind my asking, why are you so high on the Ibanez Sound Gear line? IMO, they are the epitamy of mediocre basses, regardless of the model.

If you are looking to buy a new bass at a budget price then consider the soon to be defunct De Armond neck through with active electronics Pilot Deluxe. Go to www.thebassplace.com and check them out.

A De Aromond Pilot Deluxe 4 which was selling for $700 just weeks ago is selling for $300 at the Bass Place. Get it before they're gone. It will make you forget about that lil' ol' Ibanez!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. But if you must have a Soundgear, don't get one with an agathis or basswood body. Those bodies are too small to sound decent with those woods. For soft woods to sound good, you need big bodies. IME.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i really dig the sr 3000 series a lot....i've played the 5 and 6 strings and they really sound great, imo. i thought the sr3006 sounded better than my warwick thumb. it had been fitted with bart pickups and a bart preamp, and had a fresh set of slowounds and had a really good setup done on it. the crappy plastic knobs had been replaced, too. i think that was just one of those "one in a million" basses, though. and if you can find one of the old 1300 series basses, they sound pretty good, too. the string spacing is a little tight for me though. that was the only reason i didn't jump on that 6er. the btb's sound pretty good, too.

8. I went to a jam session once with my brand new Lakland Deluxe 55-94. I plugged it in and I felt I couldn't get a decent sound out of the Hartke combo they had over there. The next song I tried a SR400 and MANNN what a sound!! I was deeply impressed by the full, heavy sound I could create with this $200 (?) bass!! Nice growl and punch. The sound is way active but I like that. Today I am going to pick one up. My Lakland has already been sold (got a Mike Lull Modern 5V instead).

9. I love the more prestiegious SR models they put out, the SR3005 is one of my favorite basses, next to the BTB1004 ofcourse. Like the embelisher said the woods make a big difference in the sound, a bass wood body can really sound terrible, not nearly as warm or pleasant sounding mahagony. If you want an SR to upgrade to, I suggest the SR3005.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with the majority here, SR800 and up, you're doing good. the 3000 models are really nice basses, regardless of the fact that they are indeed Ibanez. I'm no Ibanez basher (I own one), but their SR series isn't the best as far as quality goes. The BTB, E series (EDC, EDA, EDB) are much better for the money.

Dang...now I'm GASin' for an SR3005..

11. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    I don't know if they still make them, but I had a SGR1000PM.
    It was really nice. 5 piece neck, paduak front and back with bubinga sandwiched in between.
    Low impedence pups with bass, treble, and mid with frequency select.

As you probably guessed, I'm really sorry I sold mine, and would love to find another used.
    Might be worth considering ?