1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR Soundgear basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Mar 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player G-B-W : https://www.reverbnation.com/gbw1 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I used to own one of these years ago and I liked how it played, but can't remember the model number. Besides the Premium 'E' series - what are some of the better models as far as play-ability and features (good pre-amps, ect...)??

I just sold off my Pedulla bass that I've played for the last 20 years because I retired from gigging, but I would like a decent playing bass around the house when I get the itch to play. I'd would like to pick up a used one of these, but one of the higher up models that isn't too pricey. Any suggestions?

I did see one listed on-line at a music store that's in my price range, but it would be a fairly long drive to get there. It is a SR 1200 (non-'E' series) neck thru body made in Korea. Anyone know anything about this model?

Are different models of these made in different countrys? If so, which ones should I stay away from (if any)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I just bought me an SR655 made in Indonesia. Some of the fret ends are sharp but the bass is just simply incredible. The new 600s and 700s are cool because they have the PJ setup instead of the soapbar/soapbar setup that all the low end Soundgears have had in recent years.

Nobody and Pedulla-Player like this.
  3. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm not sure if they still make them in Korea. My SR1200 with nordstrand big singles was made in Indonesia. In fact, all my ibanez basses (4 in total) are made in Indonesia. It's not a neckthrough (mine is 2012), punchy, jazz bass "ish" sound. image.jpg

Crystalman85, xbud, remy26 and 2 others like this.
  4. Different ranges (Prestige, Premium) are made in different places, and you pay for that, along with higher quality pickups and woods.
    The current regular SR line are Indonesian-made for a few years now, and everything from SR500 up are usually considered to be the dividing line between beginner/intermediate and pro-worthy, although plenty of pros can make an SR400 or SR300 do the job.
    All are good value per $.

My personal experience is that Korean Ibanez basses are very well-built, although they aren't made there anymore.

Pedulla-Player likes this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've been keeping my eye on these basses- I really prefer the PJ configuration over the soapbar pups. I had one of the older 1990s MIJ SR800 basses with the AFR PJ pickups, kind of regret selling it recently so these new SR650 and 750 seem to be just what I'm looking for as these seem to be the descendants of those basses but with Nordstrand pickups. Just traded a bass for a SR700 so looks like I'm easing back into the Ibanez fold these days- I now know what I want next. :)

6. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Nice bass jg42!!

The SR1200 neck thru that I'm curious about (made in Korea) also has the PJ pick ups. The store ad says it's a 2004. It has 4 control knobs with 2 of them being stacked and a switch. The bridge is one solid piece. I can pick it up for about $400 which is right about what I'd like to spend for a bass to noodle around on when I get the itch.
    Here is a photo of it:
    SR 1200.jpg

Crystalman85, jg42 and Maxdusty like this.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Looking at the bass- it looks like the original pickups were replaced on this one. Not 100% sure but the SR1200 ones I've seen have the AFR pickups without the poles. The AFRs are active pickups which were used in the SR800 and up basses with the P/J configuration. I believe the ones on the one you're looking at are passive. Some did not like the active pickups so replaced them. This is probably one of those basses.

This is a similar bass to the one you're looking at but without that switch. neck thru bass. Nice. These basses originally sold upwards of $1000 when they came out so awesome price!

Ibanez Soundgear SR1200 Custom Bass Guitar w Gold Accents Original Hard Case price:$750.00 - Gibson Guitars

8. If it wasnt for the fact the canadian dollar is down the drain, I would jump on a SR 756.

As a owner of a SR506 for 11 years and a SR645GN for 14 years, they are amazing bases that requires little maintainance and it can cover all types of music and band situations :)

9. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    The picture of the Sr1200 that you posted also has the elongated fret markers and the one I'm looking at has the dots. Not a big deal, but that is why I was curious about this bass and made this thread - because I was searching around on the web and couldn't seem to find another SR1200 similar to this one.

By the way - Thanks for posting that sale link.

I just remember that I loved the thin neck on my old SR bass and it was very fast. I also like the tone that I got out of it. That's why even though I retired from gigging and sold my Pedulla - I thought it would be nice to have a SR around to putz around on when I get the itch to play or if some friends just want to have a jam session.

10. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I was playing a new soundgear at a music store (forgot which model either a 300 or 500) and I thought the ends of the frets where rather sharp as well. It did play nice though. I also played a lower level Soundgear (200?) and there was a total dead spot around the 14th fret on either the D or G string (sorry bad memory - I tried a lot of different basses that day). I'm thinking a truss rod adjustment would have rectified the situation.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There is no question in my mind that $400.00 is a good deal on that bass, unless there is something majorly wrong with it.

Pedulla-Player and Maxdusty like this.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree with waylowrider.
    I've had quite a number of Ibanez basses but have veered away from them for a bit and now coming back to using them.
    The old SR800 I had was MIJ, with AFR pickups but a "lesser" model than that SR1200 you have. These early SR800 and above basses were the premium Ibanez basses of their time so the quality was usually exceptional - fret ends are clean, better workmanship etc not to mention graphite reinforced necks not seen on other SR models. When I first picked up my SR800, the high quality was immediately apparent. The tone adjustments on the SR800 and I imagine the SR1200 are amazing and very responsive. One slight nudge changes the tone almost completely- took me a while to play around with it and get my sound.
    This is a video of the old SR800 without the stacked knobs - SR800 with the stacked and of course your 1200 will have even more control.
    Definitely well worth $400 if it's all good.
    I keep an eye out for these hidden gems- they're often misidentified especially the SR800s as there's no identifying model numbers on them even on the back of the headstock. Often mistaken for the SR400- there's a thread here about these hidden gems and how to identify them as often times, GC can't and sell them dirt cheap. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  13. MY local(Mishawaka,In)Guitar Center has a used SR1200 PJ neckthru they're asking $675 for.It's an ugly(to me)transparent light blue w/minimally figured maple top but it's got the elongated fingerboard markers.It's been there a while,I think it's overpriced but maybe I'm wrong,I picked up a new SR1400TE during the holidays and really like it!

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Other basses to look out for are the SR700 basses, used ones at GC they go for $449-490. Locally on CL, you can sometimes find them even lower. There was an amber one listed for $300 in my area not too long ago. Up until two days ago, there was another one for $380- not there anymore as that's the one I got in a trade with a great guy here in my local area. Thank you! Really love the bass. Pictured.
    Also, you can order through the GC used website and have any used bass delivered to you for around $20 so you don't have to limit yourself to your local stores nor have to drive far.

Attached Files:

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My gigging 5-string is a 2011 SRA305 that I put EMG actives in. I don't anticipate ever getting another 5-string, unless my thumb and wrist deteriorate and I end up needing both fanning and helixing to keep playing.

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Any thing from SR500 and up numerically are solid basses. They pop up a lot on craigslist, eBay and around here. You can usually find some pretty cool unique stuff in all three places but especially eBay IME.

Just take whatever model number you're looking at and google it here on TB and you should have all the info you need.

The new SR650's with the P'J, are pretty tempting.

And yes that SR1200 you're looking at is pretty sweet and a solid deal for $400

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    too many models
    Models that start at $150 and end at $3000.
    too much confusion

18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Actually got my SR800 for $100 with a like new Ibanez hard case. :) Ibanez not imprinting the model # on the headstock worked in my favor on that one.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    See? Very confusing.

Maxdusty likes this.
  20. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    I use an SR 305DX as my main bass. Has more richness to it than my other basses. It's also my only active bass.

180_obo_5_string_ibanez_soundgear_sr305_dx_price_reduced_180_waukesha_22596419.jpg

Crystalman85 likes this.