1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR vs BTB vs Yamaha TRB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrmgcoolville, Oct 23, 2006.

1. jrmgcoolville

jrmgcoolville

Sep 24, 2006
    I would love +s and -s of any of the three. 6 string versions would be very nice.

2. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    They're all pretty good basses. I personally play a BTB1206e.

My BTB is very pretty, and very well built. The thing is kind of huge, in general dimentions, and also is kind of heavy (around 12lbs). The neck is the biggest feeling of the three. On the plus side, it's a very comfy neck, and the string spacing is nice and wide, if that matters to you. The sound is very thick, with a strong fundamental, and sounds somewhat compressed. It's a cool sound, but sometimes I wish it had a snappier response, was more aggressive, and bright.

I haven't played any of the other BTBs, so I can't comment. I'd be interested in trying a BTB556, as I actually like the way MK1 electronics sound, and I generally prefer the way bolt-ons sound.

I really like the SR506. It is a very inexpensive option, comparatively, and it has a great sound, look, and feel. The downside for me was the very tight string spacing (16mm), which felt awkward to me. They're also kind of neck heavy. That said, they have a bit more snappy response than my BTB, are a little brigher, etc. The neck is probably more comfortable for the left hand, although I really like the BTB. The body is really comfy sitting down, not huge feeling like the BTB.

I only played a SR1006 for a short bit. The narrow spacing was a downside here for me as well. Call me weird, but I liked the 506 better, although the 1006 was a fine bass as well. It's a little more compressed sounding, and not as agressive, compared to the 406.

The Yamaha TRBs I've played were fine basses, but they just didn't do it for me, personally. They lacked the snappyness I like in basses, and the tone just didn't inspire me. That said, I haven't noticed any problems on them. Just not my thing, I guess.

Of course, you should go out and try them out. Hope this helped.

3. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    TRB's (and indeed Yamaha's in general) get a good rap around here, and for good reason. Rest assured of the quality.

4. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    I personally don't like the 6-string versions of the SR's but the BTB's and TRB's are overall very nice. I would say the biggest difference is how large string-spacing you would like, the BTB is a lil' bit more narrow than the TRB.

I also don't like the new TRB-series, check out the previous one if you can (TRB6 or TRB6II).

5. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i owned a trb6 once, and own a sr1306 now (that´s the forefather of the 506 - nicer woods and stuff...think of the fieldy bass as a 6er, the same pu´s, sandwich body, electronics).
    the btb i only checked out in shops.

let´s start with the btb, i did not like it that much. the 35" spacing, the wide neck...the sound did not cut it for me anyway.

the yamaha was very nice, played extremely well, very snappy attack, long and good sustain, no deadspots, liked the pu´s and the sound too, and it looked killer also ! (i had the amber one). good hardware as well, gotoh tuners, 2 trussrods, lovely rosewood fretboard...
    ...so why did i sell it then ?
    for the first few months of owning it, i thought this would be my "last bass"...didn´t even play my 5er´s anymore...but slowly, the 35" scale and the wide fingerboard were getting to me...don´t get me wrong, i play for +20yrs now, my hands are not small and i´m used to 4-5 hour commercial gigs...but sometimes, i´d get cramps in my left ringfinger and pinkie, and although it was light for a 6er, it was considerably heavier than my regular 5ers (except my old ash ray 5er, which weighs a ton).
    so in the end, i had to sell it and got myself a used 1306 (basically because at that time, the 506 basses were sold out in vienna and i was going to the u.s. anyway, where at the time bassnw had the ibz1306).
    it is very nice handlingwise, not too heavy, the sound is a little dark, but could prolly be improved with new pu´s (singlecoils instead of the active humbuckers).
    the spacing only bothers me on my right hand when slapping,for the fretting hand it is a dream.
    the 506 sounds even a little darker from what i remember, but handling-wise it is exactly the same.

it all comes down to personal taste and physical preferences...and availability. the trb6´s can be had very cheap (i only paid 450€ for mine used) and are worth every cent...if you want your bass smaller, the sr506 is a whole lotta bang for the buck, and if a 1306 or similar pops up every once in a while, even better (the woodwork and craftsmanship are a little better on those IMO, the 1306 and the likes were made in the japanese mother factory, after all).

cheers,
    lowstar

6. jrmgcoolville

jrmgcoolville

Sep 24, 2006
    The smallest 6 I can get is what I want....could I paint the finish on the SR you think?

7. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    SR 6 strings are definitely small. If this is what you are looking for, I think they'll do it for you from a playability standpoint. Of course, please go and try one out to check for tone if you can.

You could probably paint the finish if you wanted to, although I wouldn't recommend it. I'd bring down the resale value considerably, and I think they look great as is. But if it's something you'd really like, the ones with the natural finish could probably be sanded down to bare wood really quickly to prep for finishing, although I'm no expert on that subject.

8. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    SR's probably got the fastest neck, but i felt the BTB sounded better. I've never played a TRB, so i have no input on that, but I really liked the BTB save for the HUGE neck. It takes a bit of getting accustomed to, but after a bit it's pretty easy to get around on.

9. bassomondo6

bassomondo6

Jul 20, 2008
    I would like to respond to this thread because I own an Ibanez SR 706 and 1306PD, and a Yamaha TRB 1006, along with a few other 6r's.

There is not too much really similar between the Ibanez and the Yamaha. SR 506 and 706 are much different than the TRB in several areas. One is tone, the Ibanez are softer and deeper due to the Mahogany in the body and the Wenge or Jatoba in the neck. More musical and what I want to contribute a good sound to the song. But if you like quick articulation, a clear, kind of a keyboard sound and you slap and pop, the Yamaha might just be for you. It is just that it is a harder, more direct sound and if you are a solo virtuoso, you won't sound very artful or not sound like just anyone else.

The Ibanez have a smaller neck which is easier to play. The Yamaha is chunky big and the biggest of nine 6r's I have owned. Being 35" just adds to it.

Both have the same good build quality, but Ibanez uses better cuts of wood. I give thumbs up to the Bartolinis in the SR 706, but an honorable mention to the TRB in electricals.

I am keeping my SRs but will someday sell my TRB. It was not as good as I expected, and the 706 and old Padauk 1306 are a really nice thing to play.

A very nice 6 string is the Heartfield DR-6. One is on ebay right now for 5 bills. It is the fastest 6 neck I have ever found (more even than the asymmetrical Tobias I own) and has all active electronics. This is one nice bass for being like a Jazz but fresher and more colorful. Response is great from the lowest to highest. Good luck with your search.

10. The last recent Yamaha TRB I played was a new 1004 model. That felt okay, but rather like a bass relying on the electronics rather than the quality of the wood. I have one of the older bolt-on TRB 6 II's which is heavenly. I use if for a lot of jazz jobs, shows, rock bands, etc. Really is one of my indispensable basses.

The new Ibanez SR series has been getting a lot of great press recently. Would really like to try one of the latest SR 500/700 models. But the BTB has never really suited me. I borrowed one for a while & it was okay, but the neck was hugely thick (thumb to fingers.) Not my taste.

A Yamaha is where I'd put my money.

11. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I own Ibanez btb 1206e. String spacing is 17mm so it's not much difference from SRs 16.5. The neck is not thick at all, it has very slim profile and according to the ibanez's website it is even thinner in profile than SR.
    BTB1206e: Thickness at 1st :20mm, Thickness at 12th: 22mm
    SR1006: Thickness at 1st: 21.5mm, Thickness at 12th: 23.5mm
    The BTB neck is wider but not really big in profile. Body on btb is really large compared to SR. The biggest of all three basses is TRB, the old MIJ series. It has 19mm string spacing so the neck is really wide

I have tried TRB1004 and I didn't like it, the details, like the laminates between top and body looked bad and I didn't like the sound but maybe with my amp and a proper setup it would sound better than in store.

If I had to choose between BTB, SR and TRB I would go with SR, one of the 90's models with wenge/bubinga neck that were made in Japan