1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR vs Schecter Stiletto vs ??? re: playability and quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, Apr 12, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm after a mid-end bass with a fast neck and nice build quality. I'd like to stay under $500. Recently, it's been boiling down to a Schecter Stiletto neck-thru or a mid to higher end Ibanez SR. I've owned Ibanez basses before and I know they're very playable. I've read similar reviews regarding playability of Stilettos, but then again I've also read that Schecters are "trash". I plan on swapping out the pickups and the bridge so the quality of those parts is not really an issue for me. I'm also considering the Spector Pro series -- once upon a time I was a happy owner of a Rex 4.

Right now I'm leaning towards the a used Stiletto Studio 4.

Any other suggestions or comments about the Ibanez SR, Schecter Stiletto, or Spector Pro series?

Thanks

2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I own a Schecter Stilleto Elite 5, I don't see any reason to change the pickups unless you just don't like EMGs I know some ppl like Barts better. The bass is well built, I never have trouble with it slipping out of tune, and if you look at the specs of some of the Spectors they have almost the same specs, for a lot less money. The one negative is the bass is heavy, but other than that I love it.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Schecter. I have 2 students who play them and they are really nice basses.

4. wheelerx88

wheelerx88

Mar 15, 2006
    Not sure where you heard Schecters are trash guitars, but my friend owns a Schecter guitar that sounds absolutely amazing. I believe it's the S-1 Elite, same as Zacky Vengeance from Avenged Sevenfold, and it's great. As far as basses go, I plan on getting the Stilletto Elite 4 string model. I can't tell you the difference in sound from the Stilletto Studio model you plan to get, but I'm sure it can't be much different from the Stilletto Elite, which is excellent. Go with Schecter.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the input guys. Any other opinions?

6. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I prefer the bartolini sound over the emg's

The emg's are just to "hi fi" for me I guess

I also prefered the neck on my 905 compared to some schecters I have played. The schecters were in no way a "bad bass" but I did prefer my SR over them.

7. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Another vote for Schecter. I love my Stilleto Studio 5 fretless.

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I prefer the neck and the Barts on the Ibanez.

Quality on both basses is very close. Either one is pretty good.

I like the look of the Schecter a little better.

9. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    +1 on the schecter.....i have the studio 4 and get compliments on my sound all the time

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Look up the SR900s or SR800s.

SR900s are just plain Beautiful. SR800's are just plain cheap for what they go for on ebay, awesome basses...

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. i do like certain ibanez. im still lusting for a dark stain srx400