1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ibanez SR vs. Shecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyW83, Mar 23, 2009.

1. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    after weeks of doing internet research looking for a new bass i had decided to order my botique elrick bass....after playing one however i wasnt as impressed as i thought i would be....i think that is mostly because of the neck setup and type of strings on the bass....over all it was a nicely crafted instrument. but over the weekend i went to my local music store to get a feel for what im looking for in my new 5 string....believe it or not i found it in an ibanez sr755....this bass was so comfortable and so easy to play and it was only $699... although i eventually want to order my "botique" bass this will save me not only alot of money for now ...but also i wont have to wait months for my new bass. the guy at the music store also suggested i look at the schecters if i like the sr's...he says they run a little more expensive but said the style is very similar.....my question to you guys is am i making a wise decision? should i just wait for an elrick? and what are you opinions on the SR's and schecters? any feedback would be appre3ciated?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I used to use a Schecter stilletto elite 5 (now selling it to a friend at work). I now use Ibanez basses and prefer the SR. Much better feel to me. The SR is not my main bass but it's the one I use for my most technical bass lines and if there's a problem with my BTB. I guess you could say my opinion is a little bias with going to Ibanez, but I have owned and played Schecter as well. I'm not downing on Schecter in any way cause they are made, play, and sound great. Hope this helps.

3. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    the stilletto 5 was the one i was interested in also.... are the SR's consideres "cheap" basses though?

4. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    my one concern with the SR is that it only has a 34" scale....will the b string fell like a wet noodle flopping around? when i played it i thought it was fine but it was only for a short time at the music store

5. Bassking09

Bassking09

Mar 23, 2009
    I have owned both an ibanez and a schecter, I prefer the schecter because it was light and comfortable to play. I played a stiletto 4 string before my current bass and was playing around with a 5 string at guitar center just yesterday, in my opinion, go with the stiletto.

6. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    The Stiletto 5 string I had was a 36 inch scale. Too long for me.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Schecter doesn't make a 36" scale. Studio5's etc are 35" Scale as well as my CV-5.

8. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    On the SR I like to use a 130 for the low B and it's fine. With a 35" on the schecter you can get away with a 125. I don't consider any Ibanez cheap unless you are just talking about the price you pay for the quality. My favorite Ibanez is the ATK which has been compaired to the Music Man Sterling. The ATK cost less then 1/2 as much and sounds close to the Sterling (I think the Sterling sounds a little better though). Actually that is another bass you might wanna consider for a 5 string. I've seen them going for $550 at most places. The neck is a little thicker then the SR's and Schecter's though.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Having owned both a Schecter Stiletto, an Ibanez SR905, and a few higher end basses here are my thoughts on the matter:

1. Both the Schecter and Ibanez are nice, reasonably priced instruments. IMO they are comparable instruments in terms of sound and quality. Is there one that speaks to you? If you like them then go for it and don't look back.

2. As far as overall quality and craftmanship the Elrick should be significantly better than either of those two. I would include tone and playability here but these are highly personal and subjective terms.

3. Don't waste tour time worrying about the 34" scale. 34" vs. 35" makes very little difference in the sound/feel of the low B. Quality of construction and choice of strings have much more impact on the low B. IMO amplification also plays a part in the perception of B string "flop".

4. Similarly, don't waste your time worrying about people thinking your bass is "cheap". Play what works for you and to heck with everyone else. Few people will notice anyhow.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

10. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    I absolutely think that $700 is too much to pay for any bass made in Indonesia.

11. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    It felt like 40......mine was a Custom 5 and it was 35.

12. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    -being that you owned both which did you feel was an instrument of higher qaulity?

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The quality of the two basses was roughly equivalent. The differences between the two really just boiled down to matters of personal taste.

14. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    excellent man thanks for your help....i do notice that the elite is missing a knob short compared to the studio 5 and the sr755...not sure what purpose it serves...ill have to see when i look at it in person....also i know the pickups on the sr755 are active...are they active on the schecter's as well?

15. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Both basses are active. The extra knob is a mid control.

16. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    ah thanks man...the ibanez i have now does not have that either... i guess thats a +1 for the studio and the ibanez....being that im not used to having one on my bass is it a big advantage?

17. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    Have you ever played an indonesian Lakland Skyline? Country of orgin is becoming less of an issue nowadays.

I agree with this. I have played a Schecter and Ibanez sr and both are good solid instruments. The Sr neck was really fast though and was easy to play. Go with the one you like best.

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't know if this is still the case, but my SR885 has a very funky string gauge requirement for the low B. Anything larger than 124 and it won't even fit through the bridge.

19. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    as long as E.B super slinkys fit then im fine ....i currently play with a 100 for my low E....not sure what the b string would be becase ive never had a 5 string

20. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Well both are good...i prefer Schecters simply becuase of look and model diversity. A thing to consider: the SR755 has Barts and the Schecters have EMG-HZs (with a few exceptions: some use OEM pickups and some use Seymour Duncan)