Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez: SR vs SRX vs RD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minger, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, so I've pretty much concluded that my next bass will be an Ibby. I currently have an Ibanez RB800, which I've heard is just like the SR800, and its not bad, but a tad sterile for my tastes. I also have an SX Jazz, which although sounds great, I think I'm ready to go back to Ibbyland.

So I'm currently scrougning around on Ebay. The RD500 shows up a couple time, and I lvoe the quilt, and the combination of pickup selections (what, 3 push/pull pots?) intrigues me, and its beautiful.

Next is also the SR800. I've heard great things about this, and I'm sure you guys have as well.
    [​IMG]
    I was going to bid on that, but the seller cancelled it, so if it goes back up in the next few days I'm definately shootin for that...I have a slight green color obsession.:D

And the last one is the SRX500. I'm looking at one with a trans black flame top, which is relaly nice, but these can get a bit higher in price than the other two. I don't know how the neck is on either this or the RD, But I'm assumiong SDGR style. The two humbuckers also look great, and I've heard enough times that they'll cut thoguh...

so uh...yeah. I guess I'm back to scrounging around ebay for a while.

2. The SR800/885/886 are probably one of the best and most popular basses out of the SDGR series. It's well worth it and I think a better bass than both the SRX and RD.

Get the SR800.

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    The 800's were good. If you gotta go for a new one go from the SR 400 on up.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, they're all going to most likely be used, as new ones are a bit more expensive on the bay.

I'm looking to spend about 250 max, and from what I've seen, I've got a lot of good choices...

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    well...the SRX700 is a all-around good bass, with excelent pickups

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    So anyone else have any suggestions? right now theres not much that interests me on Ebay, as they all seem to be flat colors (mostly black or blue).

I'm also up for suggestions on other basses, but the problem is I'm not looking ot pay much so thats partially why I'm goin Ibanez...that and well, they're pretty good.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, here it goes one more time: Anyone have any more input on the SRX500? An auction for one (trans black) is ending in about half an hour, but I still can't decide which is better: the SRX500 or the RD500.

8. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Roadgear's rock. I recommend them

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    and now the sr800 is back.

Please, be nice and don't bid on it...leave it for the asian kid who gets paid very little to do work and wants a new bass.

Then again, very little is minumum wage I guess...:p

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    There is a big difference in the RD and Sound Gear / SRX necks. The RD is chunkier more like an ATK. It sounds good too. I'm not crazy about the body style but it plays and sounds really good.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm...if its different, is the neck abou thte size of a jazz one?> I've never played an ATK, but I don't really like Pbass necks that much.

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Tangerines, Oranges, and Apples.
    They all have different qualities. SRX's are primarily geared for heavy music. SR's are for all applications as so are the Road Gears. RoadGears would seem to be the slappers bass, and they do have the funkiest sound out of the three. Now, have you considered the BTB series?

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I actually have looked a little bit at the BTBs (Truth is, I havn't played any of these, but I've had a previous good experience with Ibanez - the RB800, which is basically an SR800 without the midsweep and the mid boost/teim). Problem with the BTBs is that I want a quilted one, as I don't want a plain color, and the quilt ones get a bit pricy...

14. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I was recently interested in the RD500, on paper it looks great. When i found one to try out it just didn't seem to have any life in it, it wasn't dead strings there was still some zing but the bass just seemed to play dead and lifeless very sterile sound. A SR500 I played on the other hand felt good and sounded great.