1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by takdriver, Aug 24, 2012.

1. takdriver

takdriver

Apr 15, 2012
    I have been thinking about an Ibanez SR 350, 450, and up. I like the feel of these basses but I have no idea which model to get. I love to buy basses and gut them and put in new electronics. Would it be better to buy a higher model and get the Bartolini pickups or buy a lower model and install new pickups? What are some ideas? Also how are the pre amps in these models?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have owned an Ibanez sr 600. The Bartolini MK1 (?) pickups were very good and I liked the preamp. What I could not get used to was the body size. i am used to bigger Precision and Jazz sized bodies and the sr 600 body was small in comparison. I would have thought this was a good thing but I could not get used to it no matter what. All in all I thought the bass was great value for money.

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I just picked up a SR1206e and I absolutely love it. It's really the first Ibanez that I've played outside of an ATK that I owned for a short while. This model comes with the Nordstrand Big Singles and I am really digging the tones that I can get from it.

I can't really comment about the lower models as I haven't played any of them but if they are anything like this one, I would say go for it. I have the Bartolinies in a Lakland 5501 and they sound great although darker than the Nordstrand pups.

4. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Try to afford an sr 500 or higher....

5. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I had an SR500 years ago. It had a great feel to it from what I can remember. I've heard great things about the cheaper models though. If you're going to mod it anyway, you'd probably be fine with one of those.

6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    My favorite seriens is the Soundgear SR 500 to SR 700's. Best bang for the buck. Hate their high end stuff and their low end stuff is good for beginners but that is it. Craftsmanship is decent at best.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would get a BTB... I had an SR506 that couldn't be intonated among a few other things... the problem was not exclusive to mine.

8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Maybe not exclusive to you, but very rare, I'd say...I currently own 5 SRs (counting the ones I've previously owned the number goes up to a total of 12 Ibbys) and no intonation issues whatsoever.

Anyway, back to topic:
    I'd suggest getting a SR50X if you're on a tight budget - IMO it's the best bang for the buck from the entire SR line (I do own a 605 and 705 and yet I like the 505 the best).

If you can afford spending more on a bass, then get a Premium SR - those basses are stellar. IMO the Premium basses are probably the best instruments Ibanez has created in the last 10 years or so. The difference between those models and the standard SR line is significant - from craftmanship to tone & overall performance.

9. +1 SR2xx, 3xx is the entry-level models to the Soundgear line. I would recommend at least SR5xx. I like Soundgears and would like your first experience to be a good one.

I 've owned an SR885 for 19 years, which still sounds great.

10. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i've owned an sr900 for the past 6 years and am trading it for a jazz bass. i'm probably making a mistake, as it is a great bass.

11. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    My first bass was an SR400 from about 2001. I threw some DiMarzio pickups in it and I couldn't be happier. If you're planning on modding then the lower end models will be fine. Just make sure you get one that plays well and can be set up to your specifications.

12. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    One more vote for 500 or higher.

...I loves me some Norstrand Big Singles but you're talking another price range for a Premium.

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I came close to getting an SR. Did some digging and it seems that people really seem to dig the 500s, in particular. From what I read, those who had both a 500 and a higher series preferred the 500s. The one thing that steered me away was the lack of a durable finish. I particularly liked the newer models, with the mid frequency switch.

14. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I really like the SR700 or SR750. The SR500 and up have the Bartolini pick-ups which in my opinion are awesome.

15. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Big mistake. I had the SR 700 and did a stupid thing and sold it. I regret it everyday. Looking to get another one.

16. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    If you have a chance - try looking for an SRT900DX - I have one of them and they are awesome. My other favorite is SR1200 which I got recently - very nice as well, but also very different from my SRT. Non of them has Bartolini MK1 - SRT900DX has EMGs and SR1200 has Nordstrand big singles. SRT has a slightly thicker neck, I think.

17. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    +1 - I have an sr370F - swapped the pups for Bartolini MK4 and upgraded the preamp as well - couldn't be happier with it.:hyper:

18. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't know that there is a great deal of difference between them other than the wood/finish and the electronics. And you say you are going to gut the electronics anyway so you can forget about the electronics differences. The higher end SRs have Barts but they are not the "good Barts" according to many here so if you believe that there is no reason to favor a model with the Barts. I think the bridges on the SR500 and up are a little nicer but basically if you plan to gut the bass then buy it simply on appearance.

I had an SR505 briefly and it really was a great bass. I would not have changed anything about it except the final digit in the model number. Turns out I really don't like having five strings. So I sold it and returned to my first love, Fender, with a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz. If I had bought an SR500 instead and tuned it BEAD (an option I considered) I would still have it. I think the lower end SRs are just fine too but if you are buying a bass with the hope that you will keep it for a long time, the SR50X is a great option. If you are just going to mod it anyway I think any of the SRs that looks sweet to you is going to be a good choice.

Ken

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This...

- georgestrings

20. I have (at the moment) an SR600 in walnut flat that I just love, and the SR605 now comes in the same color. I also have an SR400QM, and a SR405QM. If you're planning on switching pu's - just get a SR505 or better; 500 thru 700 series all have the same 3band active Bart system. The 300/400 series have a 3band active system as well, but with Ibanez pu's instead. The best I can describe the difference in sound is that the Bart system is a little clearer/louder, but both have the sig Ibanez sound. Great quality basses.