Ibanez SR1000EWN: opinions? Awesome or flawsome

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I would like to know the general opions on the Ibanez PRESTIGE SR1000EWN. I was thinking about making a move towards that direction and I wanted some feedback. How's the Sound of the bass, the feel, the neck, the sustain? etc etc I would appreciate all feedback thank you for your time AND :bassist: reading
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I had the chance to test one last week.
    Unfortunately I don`t remember the exact model name (It was a Prestige Series, but maybe 900 or 1000) but it might be helpful.

The body was neck through was made of 2 pieces of maple. Had a contoured back (like a Spector) and was pretty light.
    Came equipped with a Monorail bridge (it`s different from the ones used in the BTB series). Active EQ, 4 knobs (2 concentric).
    It come equipped with Bartolinis MK-1 pickups. Let me tell that after checking it for 20 minutes, I left really impressed.
    The bass was very versatile, could get a wide variety of tones and was suitable for all kind of styles (slapping, tapping). I hadn`t the typical "trebly-sterile" tone of cheaper Ibanez (SR, EDB, etc.).
    I`ve owned and played some of them (SR, CT, EDB, BTB) and this is a completely different animal, more boutique oriented.
    However, you might find serious competitors in its price range
    (Spector, Warwick, Cirrus, Lakland, Musicman) so it`s just a matter of playing as many of them as you can.

Hope it helps.
  3. Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    If you can possibly find one at a store that you can actually play,I would really recomend that you do so,I've wasted so much money on basses that I got without playing them beforehand,I have an Ibanez DWB3 and I like it but it's not my favorite,I've had a btb,sr885,an ergodine,and an sr1005 and I didn't like any of them they sound so thin,now if I think I want a bass (I've made a few people angry at me) but I find someplace that has one,I play it for about half an hour then come back later and play it again and again ,then go home and think about it for a couple days, then if all I can think about is playing that bass again,then I know its one I want,some basses i've had, I just can't into and I never play them,for the money you plan on spending on the Ibanez,you have a large choise of basses you could really fall in love with for a long time,warwick thumbolt,stingray, P bass, ect,a lot of the choise depends on the music you play.
  4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If I wasn't such a Carvin freak, I would probably have that bass already.

I had an SR640 and loved it. One of the few reasons I switched from Ibanez to Carvin was because they didn't have a neck-thru SR model that I was interested in. Had they come out with that bass 18 months ago, I would probably still be playing them. I really liked the feel of the thin neck.