Ibanez SR1005e - not your typical crappy Soundgear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Dec 26, 2005.

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I got a brand new Ibanez SR1005EWN a few days ago, and it rocks! This is really a world class bass, despite the "Ibanez Soundgear" label, and I'd reccomend it to anyone looking for a boutique bass at a reasonable price... seriously, I think even the most adamant Ibanez hater might enjoy this bass!

it looks great, sounds great no matter how you set the EQ, and practically plays itself... the string spacing maybe a bit narrow for some, but it works great for me, even with my limited slapping ability :D

last but not least, some pics:

the sculpted body and monorail bridge are really cool too!
  2. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Nice bass, enjoy it! I'm not quite sure why Ibanez has such a bad rap around these parts. I have had a Soundgear SR885 for about 10 years now that has been my workhorse and I find the tone flexible enough...definitely not vintage but I like it all the same :D .
    That being said you point out what I consider to be the biggest "issue" I now have with the bass, the string spacing is kind of tight. I never noticed it before since it was my ONLY bass for a long time, but now after playing a few wider string spacings on my Tobias 5'ers it takes a bit of getting used to.

Of course the thing I find most annoying about playing a Soundgear is that I used to get asked quite a bit if I could get the Fieldy "sound" with it...uggggghhhh :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

3. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Gorgeous bass.

I always found Soundgears to be very good basses.

4. I dont get why people around here trash the SoundGear series either. Alot of them are very good quality instruments! However, these SR100X series, are in a league of their own! Congrats, and if you ever get bored with it, let me know ;) .

5. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Oooooh, the 2+3 tuners are SNAZZY! :cool:
  6. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    haha who knows, I've been playing it nonstop for the last 3 or 4 days!

seriously, this thing is amazing, I can pick it up and just sit there playing for hours without getting bored. I don't even do that with my Cirrus! :D
  7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Awesome bass man!

I love soundgears (SR50X series and the 100X series mostly, anything sub-50X isn't good and the non-prestige 50X+ don't have the same value, imo as the 500. But love the Prestige SR's).

I'd really love to have a 1006, but I've only seen SR1006EFM and I don't want maple/flame maple so much, seems like a combo that would be too bright for what I want.

But I saw an SR1006EWN on Ibanezregister.com (A catalogue scan, it looked like) that really gave me GAS... any idea if the 1006EWN might be available in America? Cuz honestly if it isn't, I might just think about the 1005EWN... yours is super beautiful. Love that walnut man! Any soundclips?
  8. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'd love to get some sound clips up, but my line-in is busted, so all I have is a crappy mic, which probably wouldnt give you the best idea of how this baby sounds... but take my word for it, it sounds great! :D

I really love the sweepable mids, a little bass and high-mid boost sounds great :cool:

i dont see why the SR1006 wouldnt be available in the states, I'm sure its available on musicians friend and whatnot...
  9. steve21

steve21 Banned

The EFM is, but not the EWN, I dunno... guess it's a popularity issue or something like that.

But since I'm pretty sure they'd have to order one in for me at my local GC anyways, I think I'm going to be asking if I can get a 1006EWN, and if not... some long hard thinking about if a 6 is worth getting wood I'm not going to like as much as EWN's.
  10. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    yes, the 6 is worth getting wood...

sorry, I just thought that sounded funny

...but seriously, I hate the way the maple ones look, and I doubt the alder/maple would sound as good as my mahogany/walnut :cool:
  11. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    For a $200 upcharge you can get a Japanese 1006EWN from this site.
  12. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ Cool... but hella expensive! Does that mean GC wouldn't be able to order one in for me from Japan? I'd feel safer buying from GC than some random MIJ store...
  13. Yay, a reason to show off my new Ibanez BTB 1206E:

14. Nice bass man!

Love the BTB Marcus, great bass.
  15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I played one of these the last time I was in a GC... I was pretty impressed.
  16. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like Soundgears myself. The Ibanez Soundgear and Crate amps have been keeping many budding bassists playing.

I keep a cheapie Soundgear at my folks' house for when I visit them and I love the way it balances. I can play the thing without bending my wrists at a steep angle. If only the neck were a tad wider with a chunkier profile, it'd be a contender against my Warwick for my time.

Congrats on the bass.
  17. Like Din, I'm more partial to a wider and chunkier profile, hence the BTB.

Slava, how do you like the spacing?

That's a stunning SR, by the way!
  18. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    That BTB's a beauty!

I dont like the BTB's playability that much though, because of the wide and IMO uncomfortable neck.

I love the spacing on the SR, I play about 50/50 pick and fingerstyle, ocasionally slapping, and it's really comfortable! It's really effortless to play.

About the 1006EWN, I looked on the Ibanez USA site, and surprise... looks like they don't even make a 6 string version :meh:

19. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That BTB is like...wow.

How much did that cost you? A little too wide spacing for my tastes, but man...that is a beauty.
  20. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I was never a fan of the sound of BTB's, but that soundgear is seriously awesome looking. I didnt know they cost so much, though. : / I'd definitely buy one some day if not for the price tag.