Ibanez SR1005EWN...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ROK, Jun 17, 2005.

1. ROK

Jun 16, 2005
    Hi there - We need some advice...

My 14 years old son has played the bass for 3 years now - using a Fender Jazz-bass Mexico.
    I can see for my self, but they also told me at the musicschool that he is quite talentet (a few weeks ago he among other played this "Stu Hamm - Live at San Francisco Bass Solo" at a koncert).

We are now looking for a supplement to his Fender.

We are definitely going for 24 frets!

Can we get some pros and cons concerning 5 strings?

One of the bass-guitars we are considering is the Ibanez SR1005 EWN Prestige - any pros or cons to this finelooking bass?

Best regards from Denmark
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Go ahead and get it. It's a fine bass, and probably the right size for a 14 year old. I've heard a couple of people gigging on these new high-end Soundgears, and they sound impressive.
  3. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I dont know if its anything like my artcore, Hopefull its alot smaller in the body. But my ibanez has an amazing sound and amazing quality, as I said the only disadvantage to it is the massive body and neck witch makes it so akward to play standing up. But that shouldn't concern the bass your looking at, Only artcores body's are that massive from ibanez. The ones I've seen anyways.
  4. The quality and tone on the Ibanez SR1000's is really excellent.

If you're looking for a double octave neck, it has that. The five string version has a tighter string spacing and a pretty narrow neck, which I'd imagine would be better for a teen. There really are no cons to owning a five string. It just has a low-B there that most people treat as a metallic thumb-rest.

Hope that helps.
  5. ROK

Jun 16, 2005
    I've been busy for a while...

Thanks a lot for these three answers and also to "jow83" on another string... It has been very helpful.

We now have a SR1005EWN on order... :D

Best regards