1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR1300E Premium 4-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaxstarke, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Nov 6, 2010
    I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one of these but I can't find many reviews about it other than the two or three that are shown on Musician's Friend and zZounds. The two music stores near me don't even carry Ibanez so it's impossible for me to try one out first. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the gold hardware and would like to change out the machine heads and the mono-rails at some point to black. Machine heads are easy enough to find but the mono-rails may prove to be a little more difficult. Any retailers that anyone is aware of that might carry them? Here's a link to the bass on Sweetwater for those not familiar (they offer the bass with black hardware but I'm not buying from them)- Ibanez SR1300E Premium - Natural Flat

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Black monorail bridges available from a number of vendors, Hipshot one of them:
    Single String Bass Bridges > Store > Hipshot Products.

Monorail Bridge Rail Replacements

Google is your friend, lots of other vendors of black monorails and tuners.

I haven't played this particular model (one of seemingly hundreds in the Ibanez line). But I have played a couple of the Prestige line basses, and they are superbly well made and finished, with excellent electronics. Pretty much ideal layout with Master Volume, pup blend, and 3 band EQ typical, with variations based on model. Definitely a "modern" sound, but versatile enough for any common tone. Unlike many companies, the incremental price increases in Ibanez as you walk up the line is visible as incremental improvements in quality, so it's not some random unjustified price increase based on nothing tangible. I don't see how you can go wrong with a Prestige bass. My only beef with Ibanez is almost too many models in the line, which makes finding any particular model in a store to test a crapshoot, as you are finding.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    jaxstarke likes this.
  3. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Nov 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Think I'm going to go for it.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I have the SR1305 - fantastic instrument! Exceptionally well made & plays amazing. I changed out the stock pickups and while I was in the middle of that process, I noticed some wires down in the bridge pickup cavity which took me a minute to figure out - oh yeah, there are 5 separate grounding wires (1 for each monorail). Makes sense since each monorail is essentially its own bridge in & of itself and does not touch or ground to the others. Just something to note if you change out to black hardware. Shouldn't be any more difficult than replacing any other type of bridge, just took me minute to register what I was looking at because I haven't had many basses with monorail bridges before. But the instrument itself is beautifully made and highly recommended!

20160916_221103.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Herrick, Gilmourisgod and stingray69 like this.
  6. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    The Hipshot bridges won't be an exact replacement, since they are straight across the front, rather than semicircular.

jaxstarke and pasi like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The SR Prestige basses with walnut or cocobolo tops are one of my bucket list basses, if I live long enough, maybe one I can afford will surface on the used market. Only caveat I can think of is these are not for the ham-fisted, typical Ibanez super thin fast neck, which I love, but my hands are on the smaller side of average. These are among the thinner five string necks, with tighter string spacing than most, perfect fit for my hands, but maybe not for everyone,

jaxstarke likes this.
  8. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    What pickups did you replace with, i just got one of these, and like all ibby's before, i hate the tone, but love the feel. also did you get hum when going from both pups blended?

9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I replaced the Nordstrand Big Singles with Aguilar DCB Dual Coils - not because they were bad sounding. The Nords sound very good for the type of beefy jazz bass tone that they were designed to sound like. But I have like 5-6 jazz basses and quite honestly have that tone more than covered already.

I was wanting a more powerful/modern dual coil tone from my SR1305 and I already had the DCB's at my disposal, so I installed them & absolutely LOVE the tone I am getting now with them! No hum whatsoever with either DCB pickup soloed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  10. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER

Jul 18, 2016
    Louisville Ky